Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

OIL LEAK AND Coolant Liquid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 04:22 PM
Default OIL LEAK AND Coolant Liquid Leak

Good day guys,

My Gen2 Montero 2 doors 6G72 is leaking oil and coolant.

Took it to the shop, they supposedly changed all the seals and gaskets, sadly they didn't did the head gasket, only valve covers and front and rear seals and did timing belt and other bad pulleys, also clutch kit. So my guess is the head gasket have a leak, but there is no mix in oil and cooland, they just drop to the floor, coolant, from around the back of the engine, cant really see from where it is... and the oil from the union of the gearbox and engine, at least i see it coming out from there.

So here are my questions:
1) can i swap the head gasket without taking the head or block engine to be rectified / machined? just swap the gaskets?
2) any ideas if the leak could be some place else? they did changed old hoses also, i just drove it like 150km and oil and coolant started to leak again like 1 oz. each. wondering if there could be other place to check. attaching some pictures of what i found.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Last edited by cesarel; 06-01-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:00 PM

Most shops are not familiar with the 6G72 engine and it's quirks, any slight mistake when installing the seals on these engines will result in a leak occurring again(sometimes within a few miles after service). The leak on the rear of the engine is most likely due to rear camshaft seals as it does not appear to be serious enough for it to be a rear main(could be wrong here), the leak on the front could be any number of seals, but most likely is due to failed front cam seal(s) or a failed front crankshaft seal, the coolant leak does seem to be front and center and can be a few things, it can straight up be a bad water pump as I've had this happen before, the O-ring on the rear of the water pump housing could be shot(look for coolant pooling in the "V" of the engine under the intake manifold for this one), and the water pump gasket may not have been installed correctly or was damaged before/during install. Regardless of what the issue(s) are, I would definitely be driving back to that shop and making them do it right, if they can't, then bring it somewhere that can and then deliver the bill for repair to the shop that messed it up.

One thing is for certain though, it is NOT a head gasket. Good luck.

EDIT:
One more thing, even though it can be tough to do so, remain calm and collected when talking with the shop that did the repair, if you start pointing a finger and being irate, they are infinitely more likely to refrain from helping resolve the situation amicably.

Last edited by Naeos_Valkarian; 06-02-2023 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Advice