Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Really strange front end problem (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/really-strange-front-end-problem-42766/)

crghill 07-30-2012 07:21 PM

Really strange front end problem

I have a 2003 Montero Sport AWD that has a serious sounding problem in the front end. Here follows the explanation.

1. When I put the truck in gear and move forward, more often than not, I'll here a loud POP come from up front. It is not doing this when turning only as I can be moving perfectly straight and it will make this noise.

2. If I get to heavy on the gas, the truck sounds like a machine gun going off as it's pop pop pop until I let off the gas.

3. If I ease into the gas and drive her gentle then no noise is made.

4. It's not motor, its drive.

5. I think it might be in the AWD as it seems to sometimes be the drivetrain going to the drivers side and sometimes drivetrain to passenger side.

I only gave $2,000 for this truck. It's got 142,000 miles but still look ok and the AC is cold. It's my daily driver so I need to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

crghill 07-31-2012 05:16 PM

Anyone Anyone Bueller Anyone?

HunterD 07-31-2012 10:17 PM

Front end noise

Does the behavior you describe happens in 2WD or only in AWD and 4WD? If it is only later two, then it is probably an issue with front differential. Perhaps axle splines are stripped or not engaging completely. If it happens in 2WD also, then it can be one of the front bearings. I am just guessing here. Good luck. Keep us posted.

mxmikie 08-01-2012 12:20 AM

sounds like a short/vac leak going to the front axle motor

crghill 08-01-2012 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 285922)
Does the behavior you describe happens in 2WD or only in AWD and 4WD? If it is only later two, then it is probably an issue with front differential. Perhaps axle splines are stripped or not engaging completely. If it happens in 2WD also, then it can be one of the front bearings. I am just guessing here. Good luck. Keep us posted.

My only options are AWD, 4H or 4L. The shift lever for the AWD/4WD system is stuck in AWD.

crghill 08-01-2012 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by mxmikie (Post 285925)
sounds like a short/vac leak going to the front axle motor

How would I go about verifying this? Also, I don't need the 4wd to be working. Is there anything I can just disconnect to make the noise go away?

crghill 08-06-2012 06:39 PM

I found out it's the transfer case. I've got two questions. Does anyone have a t-case they want to part with cheap? Also, does anyone know if there is some way to make this a 2wd for awhile until I can afford to fix it?

Thanks!

Craig