Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Rear shocks are horrible. Normal or it needs change? Story... (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/rear-shocks-horrible-normal-needs-change-story-38715/)

zoza1982 03-01-2011 12:21 PM

Rear shocks are horrible. Normal or it needs change? Story...

Hi guys, I have 2001 Montero Sport with currently 116k miles.
I own it since it has 60k miles and I do not remember when going over the bumps to hear the trunk window knocking like crazy. Its really noisy even when going over small road bumps.

My wife is also complaining when riding on the rear seat, that she is all over it, when driving on sharp mountain roads and its very bouncy even going straight on normal road's imperfections.

So, my 3 questions are ...

1) is it time to replace them?, I know SUV's have heavy duty shocks...but this is horrible.

2) This car still has stock shocks, and I was wondering since the car is so tall ...can I remove the rear shocks while the car is on the ground ( not lifting up ) since it has a lot of room. I guess the question is ...if I am able to compress the shock with my own hand it should not be a problem...(since spring will keep the car's height) otherwise it will pop-out like a bullet in my face when I remove the bottom nuts.

3) If I need to lift the car up, since the shocks will be expanded to the full extent...is it equally hard/easy to compress the shock vs expand? ( Since I need to expand it, if the car is in the air)

Mr. Z. 03-01-2011 06:40 PM

If you are still running factory installed shocks at 116k, then most certainly replace them.

To replace the shocks, you'll need to put your rig up on jack stands so the suspension can droop as much as possible. This will aid you when you remove and install the shocks.
Good Luck

jrmdir 03-01-2011 09:34 PM

Agree it's time to replace. I spent several months trying various aftermarket - supposedly "high performance" - gas shocks including KYB uints that were supposed to be "OEM" In the end I gave up and bought the correct factory shocks from a dealer. Not horribly expensive and for some reason far superior in ride an handling that any of the others. Just my experience, but based on it I wouldn't mess around. www.mitsubishiparts.com has some attractive prices.

Ron

zoza1982 03-02-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jrmdir (Post 269671)
Agree it's time to replace. I spent several months trying various aftermarket - supposedly "high performance" - gas shocks including KYB uints that were supposed to be "OEM" In the end I gave up and bought the correct factory shocks from a dealer. Not horribly expensive and for some reason far superior in ride an handling that any of the others. Just my experience, but based on it I wouldn't mess around. www.mitsubishiparts.com has some attractive prices.

Ron

I was thinking of buying KYB shocks...heard they are not bad at all. What happened with your KYB?? You were not able to install them?

jrmdir 03-02-2011 11:27 AM

No problem installing - just no improvement in control - to the point that I took them off. Note: This is for a full size Montero and I've never driven a Sport. For all I now the aftermarket KYB's may work better for you than they did for me.

Full size Montys are taller and have higher COG so the tendancy to lean in corners and to rock back and forth with road undulations was what I was fighting. New rear sway bars bushings helped a lot but the biggest change was when I got proper OEM parts. No matter what KYB says I'd guess their aftermarket shocks must have a set range of valving options while the Mitsu parts are per spec after years & hundreds of thousands of miles of testing.

It could just be me but as I said once I went back to stock the truck felt like a new vehicle with less sway, better cornering control and comfortable ride. Factory rear shocks are $48+ ea on the website I posted above.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. If you decide to go with aftermarket KYB let us know how they work.

Ron

zoza1982 03-02-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by jrmdir (Post 269710)
No problem installing - just no improvement in control - to the point that I took them off. Note: This is for a full size Montero and I've never driven a Sport. For all I now the aftermarket KYB's may work better for you than they did for me.

Full size Montys are taller and have higher COG so the tendancy to lean in corners and to rock back and forth with road undulations was what I was fighting. New rear sway bars bushings helped a lot but the biggest change was when I got proper OEM parts. No matter what KYB says I'd guess their aftermarket shocks must have a set range of valving options while the Mitsu parts are per spec after years & hundreds of thousands of miles of testing.

It could just be me but as I said once I went back to stock the truck felt like a new vehicle with less sway, better cornering control and comfortable ride. Factory rear shocks are $48+ ea on the website I posted above.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. If you decide to go with aftermarket KYB let us know how they work.

Ron

Thank you Sir very much! That web site is awesome. I was surprised that OEM shocks are not expensive at all. Usually would be around $150 a piece...but $48 bucks is a joke.

I would definitely consider to go back to stock...Most likely.

GilbertLarra 03-02-2011 03:16 PM

Hi I recently changed the complete set of shocks of my 1996 Monty and bought the KYB Monomax. For me they feel great, no complains. I changed the back shocks first and had the same situation as you, stock shocks never replaced before. They were horrible and so easy to remove for in the bad conditions they were. I did as Mr. Z did with the jack and was easy.