Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Removing Intake Plenum - '00 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 10:45 AM
Default Removing Intake Plenum - '00 Montero

Yes, there are lots of repair threads, but I don't see many on the 2000 model year, full-size Montero.
So here is a little info on removing the intake plenum, which is the first step of a number of repair jobs including:
1. Replacing spark plugs and wires
2. Replace valve cover gasket
3. Replace o-rings on rear cam seals
4. Replace lifters
5. Anything requiring access to the cylinder head

Note, you do not need to remove the plenum to change the timing belt, luckily.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Default Trying to post pictures for this thread!

My idea for this thread was to get it started with a short intro, and then use replies to post pictures with mark-ups and comments.
So I've tried to post the first reply with pictures, but it's not been approved yet.
I hope it will work out so this thread serves a useful purpose.
I just wanted everyone to know what I'm trying to do here, being as my original post doesn't make much sense by itself.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:48 PM
Default Maybe linking to my album...

Trying a link to my album.
Somebody let me know if this works.

'00 Montero Intake Plenum

Old 08-15-2020, 04:52 PM

cjolsen........Sorry, but I just happened to see your thread. I was hoping to see your pics and the steps you went through.....would make a great topic on this website.
Are your going to continue your posting to this thread?

Old 08-15-2020, 04:58 PM

cjolsen.....OK, I went to the link with the 5 pictures, and they are helpful. I guess that is a downfall with some of these Mitsubishi's.......to have to do all this work just to get access to the spark plugs. Something I will have to learn how to do with my 94 Montero SR with the 24valve engine.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:50 PM

Nice job with the pics. I have the same plenum on my 2001 full size Montero and I can confirm that you got all the bolts marked. I have to say - I always remove mine in two step process (upper half, them lower half). Because of that it, there are few more bolts involved and two nits by ERG passage. I find it easier to maneuver two pieces instead of one big assembly. Perhaps it has something to do with how the engine compartment configured? Anyhow, I'm sure this will be useful to many users.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:20 AM

Same process for the 97~04 montero sports. I made a contraption/blueprint out of cardboard where I shove the bolts through the respective holes to keep them in the right spots for reassembly. Gonna try color coding them next maybe, god I've taken off my plenum too many times over the years.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:44 AM

Naeos......I like the cardboard idea for keeping the bolts arranged as Ive done that in the past. The paint trick seems good too. Im sure Hunter is working on designing and fabricating a new plenum that fits elsewhere on the engine so the spark plugs can be changed without removing it.......and he will be sending us each one for our rigs very soon. Ha ha.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
Naeos......I like the cardboard idea for keeping the bolts arranged as Ive done that in the past. The paint trick seems good too. Im sure Hunter is working on designing and fabricating a new plenum that fits elsewhere on the engine so the spark plugs can be changed without removing it.......and he will be sending us each one for our rigs very soon. Ha ha.
Jokes aside, I've had my eye on designing a new performance oriented plenum for sometime. One day man, one day...

Old 08-16-2020, 06:46 PM

Naeos......Thats way cool, and a huge task........but I can picture it now......cutting a 2' x 2' hole in the hood and mounting that bad boy up above the hood for all the world to admire. Add a row of orange butterfly flappers, and you just might have to attach a parachute on the rear to make people really wonder. And you can change the plugs every weekend if you want in a matter of minutes. I think I will buy one from you.

Quick Reply: Removing Intake Plenum - '00 Montero