Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   replacecing parts (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/replacecing-parts-37220/)

phenoyz 10-02-2010 01:53 PM

replacecing parts

hello

I plan to change the timing belt and water pump, is the WATER PUMP TENSIONER part of the KIT or do i have to buy it separately?

i just found out my oil is leaking, my mechanic said to replace the VALVE COVER? i dont see any leak on the "garage floor", only when you "lift" the suv then, can you see the oil leak in the underchasis of engine.

also when i drive i hear this sound underneath the engine its like the sound when a plastic trim/molding is RUBBING against a tire that is running or something... could not explain it...(small squeeking) ....is there a posibility this is part of engine?or transmission bearing?

thanks

designflaw 10-02-2010 06:17 PM

Can you post pictures of the oil leak?

phenoyz 10-02-2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by designflaw (Post 264317)
Can you post pictures of the oil leak?

the oil leak can only be seen if you lift the truck up, you can see it on the
side of the underchassis of the engine, but there is no oil in the "garage floor"
since i just bought this truck last week, the previous owner said he change
Oil and transmission fluids changed this month, maybe its just a little spill from that "change"?

Thanks for the reply

mtc137 10-03-2010 09:01 PM

Year/Model?

MitJsus 10-04-2010 08:22 AM

How old is your Montero? I've owned a number of older used vehicles in my life (almost all in very good shape) and have found that most leak a little oil. As long as your oil pressure is good and the oil level is not low the internal parts of the motor will still be lubricated just as designed. Vehicle performance and longevity will not suffer from a small oil leak. The main concern is that it is annoying to have oil on your garage floor and it is bad on the environment.

phenoyz 10-04-2010 10:13 AM

I bought it last week:

its a 2000 Montero Sport ES
120k Miles, 3.0L, 2wd, Automatic

phenoyz 10-04-2010 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by MitJsus (Post 264376)
How old is your Montero? I've owned a number of older used vehicles in my life (almost all in very good shape) and have found that most leak a little oil. As long as your oil pressure is good and the oil level is not low the internal parts of the motor will still be lubricated just as designed. Vehicle performance and longevity will not suffer from a small oil leak. The main concern is that it is annoying to have oil on your garage floor and it is bad on the environment.

I "DO NOT SEE" see any oil in my garage floor...I only saw the leak when i went to mechanic and lifted the truck, then you can see leak underneath the engine on right and left side thats why he said change VALVE COVER....

MitJsus 10-04-2010 11:30 AM

Phenoyz,

I just bought my 2000 Montero Sport 4X4 3.0 with 130k miles last week too. Don't worry too much about a small oil leak - mine has a small one also - along with another vehicle I have. As long as it is just a few drips it is no big deal.

Have you changed you transmission fluid yet? That is on my near future list.

phenoyz 10-04-2010 12:54 PM

when i bought it : this is what the previous owner posted:

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Only 119k miles. V6 enginge. Car had a tune up in Sept. 2009 with a new battery, plugs, distributor cap, and wires. A new AC compressor was installed in summer of 2008. AC works great. Oil and transmission fluids were changed this month. RECENTLY PASSED SMOG CHECK.

I am going to be using this for a lot of long drive, i want to change evrything
to be sure..for the transmision people here recommend the mitsubishi fluid, i think i will use that

Obakemono 10-04-2010 06:28 PM

Haha. This thing does not have a cap and rotor.