Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Replacing accumulator and bleeding ABS brakes on 2001 Montero (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/replacing-accumulator-bleeding-abs-brakes-2001-montero-36979/)

leejm12 09-07-2010 02:38 PM

Replacing accumulator and bleeding ABS brakes on 2001 Montero

Anyone out there know how to get into the MUT-III system to initiate the
bleeding on the ABS system? I was about to DIY the accumulator when I see way down in the instructions that after you bleed the brakes, you need to attach a scanner that is MUT III capable to initiate the bleed on
the ABS system. Wow, show stopper for this DIYer!ANyone know how to get around this? Can't find a cheap MUT-III scan tool. :confused:

Mr. Z. 09-07-2010 09:54 PM

I found the same problem when I went to work on my brakes.
I couldn't find a way around, however I didn't spend a whole lot of time researching it either...there may be some fine solutions that I'm not aware of as yet.
Did you get the BBA replaced once already?
I know that Mitsu. had a factory recall for the part, at least for the 2002.
I brought mine in to the dealer back in 2008 and had them replace it. I then had to submit the receipt to get the $ from them.
Let me know if you find an answer to the bleeding problem.

leejm12 09-08-2010 07:01 AM

Has greater then 150k miles

Yes, the hydraulic Brakes had been replaced under the recall. Unforntuntely it was good thru 150k, and it has 154k, of course. I am thinking about replacing the accumulator, then towing it to Midas to have
them bleed it. I can't find a cheap MUT-III scan tool. They just don't make it easy anymore for us DIYers.

leejm12 09-08-2010 11:07 AM

Update?

Well, after searching the Forum, it looks like there are no cheap MUT-III scan tools. So does anyone know if it is safe to swap the accumulator, bleed what I can, then tow it to a shop to bleed the ABS System? I imagine I can find a shop that has a MUT-III scan tool that can bleed the ABS. Don't see another low-cost solution to this one. Comments?

Tom Roucek 07-27-2013 05:57 PM

ABS recall on a 2001 Montero

When I finally got through to speak to someone they told me this recall had already been done once on my car and they would no longer honor it. apparently they replaced it with the same crappy parts they put in originally and now I must do this on my own. I even tried to access Mitsubishi directly but they are too well insulated and only refer you to the local dealer Here in Costa Rica they could care less, infact the price they quoted me was $4,000. all I know is I will never buy another Mtisubishi product even though I had very good luck with my first one.
if anyone has a fix for this please contact me. ctom4fun@gmail.com

Thanks!