Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

running with no spark to two cylinders unknown

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Default running with no spark to two cylinders unknown

I previously had an endeavor that i was more familiar with.. Im having problems with my new car I was given a 2003 montero sport with a 3.0 motor.. i wanted another Mitsubishi truck they seem dependable when well cared for especially.
The car had a check engine light on when i got it, the guy said he didnt know what it was for but the car was safe to drive. I found out it had two p0300 codes when i checked the coil packs.. the drivers side one is dead i think plugs 1 and 6 go to that pack? ill check tomorrow but so it had a veryy weak idle and almost no power without those two cylinders getting spark it was pretty bad and getting worse each day before i was aware of how bad this problem really was.. the car also had a shudder to it. when you drive you can barley accelerate at times and when you're driving slow it will occasionally have a torque converter shudder when its very very bad the speedometer with fluctuate at times, at other times it wasnt too bad but this ones different from the one endeavor had.. it could get pretty bad to where you couldnt drive i found out it has another code its p0705 for the transmission range circuit malfunctioning.
Im hoping that trans code and the way the trans im assuming? acting up will be fixed when the misfire is fixed from the coil packs. I hope it runs much better im sure coil packs are much needed.
Ill find out how it runs tomorrow

Anything i should check on the car that its known for having problems with?
I know about the whole oil seal thing but mine arent too bad yet.

Last edited by Captnkitty; 09-20-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Definitely fix the misfire first. The transmission code can be secondary (if your karma is good ).

Since both misfiring cylinders are on the same coil, it is likely that ether coil is bad, or a signal to coil is bad. One way to quickly test this is to swap the coil with another one on the same engine. If your misfire moves to a different pair of cylinders - you have bad coil. If it stays on 1&6 - you have bad signal to the coil. In the second case, if you have good signal to coil, you could have an issue with one of the wires or plugs being on that pair of cylinders. By this I mean - if a wire on cylinder 1 is bad, you will have a malfunction (misfire) on cylinder #6 as well, since the spark is sent to both cylinders at the same time and both are just two ends of a single circuit.