Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Searching for sensors, again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 05:12 AM
Default Searching for sensors, again...

Hi,
I would like to ask again, 2000 Montero Sport 3.0 V6, full engine rebuild procedure.
But I didnt find the knock sensor, at the expected position. Do all Monteros have this sensor, and some not?? o.O seems strange for me. There are the 4 holes, but there is no mounting bracket, nothing... it seems to be original condition with the little homogeneous rust everywhere...
Thank you!

Old 11-01-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by brtrabi
Hi,
I would like to ask again, 2000 Montero Sport 3.0 V6, full engine rebuild procedure.
But I didnt find the knock sensor, at the expected position. Do all Monteros have this sensor, and some not?? o.O seems strange for me. There are the 4 holes, but there is no mounting bracket, nothing... it seems to be original condition with the little homogeneous rust everywhere...
Thank you!
As far as I am aware, Montero Sports in North America don't have knock sensors per say, they use a method that involves measuring the spark plug gap air resistance between spark intervals to determine misfires and/or knock. Could you upload a picture of the area/part(s) you are intrigued by?

Edit:
I believe the ECU also uses the cam and crank sensors to help verify the data.

Last edited by Naeos_Valkarian; 11-01-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:08 PM

I've checked my source that has extensive engine diagrams. They do not have a knock sensor on the 2000 model year Montero Sport. Sounds like Naeos_Valkarian is very familiar with that model setup. Based on his previous posts, I would definitely follow what he says in this case.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:51 AM

Thank you guys!
Yesyes, Naeos_Valkarian helped me, not first!

HunterD, that'S clear, in this way I will not search. Just looked up this, because the first owners are dumbs I think and If they scared something, just cut it out and throw away, and I would like reach a nearly original condition, mechanically.

Naeos_Valkarian, HunterD helped again. Thank you!