Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Selling my 1998 Montero 3.5L $1,500

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Default Selling my 1998 Montero 3.5L $1,500

I am apologizing in advance for lack of information on this ad. My Montero broke down 40 miles from home and I have decided to just sell it as-is.

1998 Mitsubishi Montero

3.5L V6, auto transmission, 4WD, locking rear and center differentials

leather interior, huge factory sunroof, infinity sound system, loaded with other options. Have original window sticker showing just under $40,000 original price.

$1,500 or best offer.

I have owned the vehicle for 14 years. It has approximately 160,000 miles. It ran great and was driven daily until the crankshaft pulley center bolt came loose. It has been parked since that happened a few days ago. I will get all the details on maintenance when I can and post that later, but for now, know that it does NOT leak any oil as I replaced valve cover gaskets and rear cam seals recently. It has of course had new spark plugs and timing belt, water pump, etc. It has been a really good SUV for me but I am going to get something a little newer. Transmission shifts perfectly, brakes work great (newer rotors all around). A/C requires a charge every few years but blows cold most of the time, until it needs another charge. Very clean interior. Only seat with any bad wear is bottom of drivers seat.

I will take some better pictures, but for now these are the only two I could find to give you an idea of what it looks like. These pictures are from last Summer. I will say the pictures make it look better than it is, but as you can see it looks really nice overall. My son backed into the front passenger fender, so that now has a good size dent. There are numerous door dings, scratches, small dents, typical for a 20 year old vehicle. Just means you don’t have to worry about it as much. Rear door latch just broke so can’t open door now.

I am selling it as-is. What that means is you will need to bring a trailer to pick it up as it can’t be driven until the crankshaft pulley is re-installed. I think you could easily put a new roll pin in and get it to catch on the chipped lower timing gear where the roll pin hole used to be. If not, you could drill a new hole easy enough since the hole is not deep at all. If you did not feel comfortable with that, replacing the lower timing gear would be in order. I will leave all that up to the buyer. I can of course start the engine so you can hear it run, but can’t drive it without power steering or water pump spinning to cool engine. This is the only thing wrong with it to get it back on the road again. Easy fix for the mechanically inclined, or you can just pay a shop to do it and still be “money ahead” with a good Montero.

Call Jim with any questions. (913) 645-9092. Montero is located in Lawrence, KS.

Attached Thumbnails Selling my 1998 Montero 3.5L alt=,500-img_1562.jpg   Selling my 1998 Montero 3.5L alt=,500-img_1561.jpg   Selling my 1998 Montero 3.5L alt=,500-img_3373.jpg  
Old 06-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Default Any takers yet?

Hi!
Couple of questions for ya.
Any takers on it yet?
Still have it?
Any interior pictures to share?

Thank you!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Jim did you sell you're vehicle or is it still available

Old 07-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Sorry, it has been sold.