Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Smokin Montero (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/smokin-montero-35278/)

poorboy2 03-09-2010 10:44 PM

Smokin Montero

I will have a 91 montero w/3.0 and now smokes most of the time, but not always. It still runs great. It used to just smoke if you let it idle for an extended period. I've been told that the 3.0 had a common problem with bad valve guides/seals. My friend sold his 91 because of this reason. I need advice as to what the problem might be, how to repair it and approx. expense. Thanks in advance.

poorboy2 03-10-2010 09:40 PM

Anyone out there? I need help/advice from you guys.:(

Montezuma 03-11-2010 11:04 AM

People are a little slow to reply here but I discovered that when they do reply they the replies are very helpful. Also you might search around the older posts for some information. I have a 94 with the 3.0 that is smokey too. I have been told my mechanic (who is also my friend) that I have low compression in #2 and that I most likely have a burnt valve. I hope that when I redo the heads and have a valve job that the smoking will end. I have to pass a smog test in May so I am getting the work done in April. Sit tight and wait for the reply it will come.

poorboy2 03-11-2010 09:27 PM

I know and I'm sorry. It's been parked for 3 months and I hate it. Thanks.

Skiddy 03-12-2010 05:42 AM

The biggest issue with these engines are the valve guides, which requires cylinder head removal to address. Considering the age of the vehicle, unless you are not concerned with its worth, it may turn out to be costly - unless you are willing to undertake some of it yourself. They're not too difficult to work on, but it is pretty time consuming. I wouldn't imagine it would cost too much for a shop to lap the valves, install new guides, etc. once the head has been removed.

I did mine back in September, and have been running a European full synthetic with 12,500 mile intervals since. Thankfully, I haven't needed any make up oil between intervals.

One thing you might want to try is replacing the seals, which will solve the problem for a duration of time, and run a high mileage oil, such as Valvoline Maxlife. High mileage oil contains seal swellers, which will help keep the seals elastic and reduce oil consumption. :)

poorboy2 03-13-2010 04:11 PM

Thanks. I can do some of the work myself. This has been too good a vehicle to just give up on. The only other problem it gave was a broken timing belt - in the middle of no where. So - remove heads, new guides and seals, lap valves reinstall w/ new gasket set. Does that cover it? I'm hoping to get started soon before it gets too hot here as I have to do it in the open.

Skiddy 03-13-2010 10:46 PM

That pretty much covers it, although you might want to consider taking it a bit further, if the finances allow. You might also want to purchase a gasket overhaul kit (MD997517) whilst your at it, which also includes the head gaskets along with a whole bunch of other stuff. I reckon this should be around $130, but it is a full kit. I would also recommend replacing the injector insulators and PCV valve whilst you're at it.

poorboy2 03-14-2010 01:27 PM

Thanks. I'm going to pick up a manual this weekend and start studying. After that it is all small stuff such as sun roof not working/leaking and body/paint work. Thanks again.

Skiddy 03-14-2010 01:30 PM

Best of luck!