Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

So Why Don't You Have A Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Default So Why Don't You Have A Manual?

One of the most perplexing aspects of hanging out in these forums for me is the apparent lack of appreciation some owners have towards the importance of owning a service manual for their particular ride.

It was the same way in a motorcycle forum I used to frequent back when that was my way of getting around. Guys (I say guys, because most gals who posted knew better) would try the most complicated procedures but then have to ask about torque values, or what color some wire was, when full-color wiring diagrams and torque values were as handy as a nearby manual. Why didn't they own one? I wish I knew.

Maybe there's two kinds of people in the world, manual readers and non-manual readers. Whenever I'd buy a new car, I'd always come home and excitedly go over the owner's manual and the maintenance schedule cover to cover. Even if it was only to learn how set the digital clock, I came away from the experience knowing something that I hadn't known before. And that made me feel good. Now, I'll admit that those owner's manuals are pretty lame, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about a repair manual, like the kind that Haynes, Chilton and Cylmer put out.

It can't be the cost. They cost maybe $30 bucks. One oil change or an alternator belt adjustment that you do yourself pays for the book right there. The rest is gravy. And if you're the adventurous type and doing major surgery, then the savings are truly impressive. But why would you even attempt something like that without a manual?

Maybe some folks think that they don't need one, because if something goes wrong with their car, they'll just take it to their shop/local mechanic/boyfriend/pool cleaner/Uncle Vinnie/cat/x-father-in-law who'll do the work for them. So they don't need no stinkin' manual!

But think again. If you take your car to a shop, wouldn't it be great to be able to speak intelligently about what symptoms your beast is exhibiting and what part or parts you're likely to need? You'll be much more likely to get a fair shake if you walk in saying, "Sounds like I'll be needing new propeller shaft bearings" then "I dunno, it sounds something like 'thwunk, thwunk, thwunk...'" A manual can help you figure that stuff out.

And if you have your girlfriend/cat/layer or whoever working on your car for you, wouldn't it be nice if they had all the info that they needed at their fingertips? I mean, it's your nuts they're going to be torquing, after all and you're the one who's going to be living with the results of their work, both the good and the bad.

I don't want anyone out there thinking that this rant is in response to too many questions. No, I love questions, and getting opinions on diagnostics and nice little shortcuts. That's what keeps this place growing and interesting, for me, at least. No, I'm just thinking of all you guys and gals out there who apparently don't have a manual of your own in your bag of tricks and could really benefit by getting one. Believe me, the way some of these manuals are written, you're still going to have plenty of questions

So I'd appreciate it if you don't have a manual to take a moment and seriously consider getting one. Cast around on the web for one to fit your particular year and flavor of vehicle. I got mine here, but I don't own stock in the company or anything:

http://www.books4cars.com/index.php?...+to+inactivity.

They may not have what you need. If they don't, keep looking, ask around. Eventually you can find one, either on-line or in your local AutoZone or Kragens. I think you'll find it interesting reading on those long, cold Winter nights...and more than interesting if you plan on doing any of the work yourself.

Last edited by mothman52; 04-09-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM

I've been using an on-line manuel and printing the sections when I need them. When I first purchased my Monty, I asked about a FSM. The dealer wanted around $150! I've used a Haynes on an old '71 Monte Carlo, but for every other rig I always buy the FSM. In your experience, are the Haynes, and the like, comparable to the FSM?

Last edited by Mr. Z.; 04-09-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Banned

Totally agree man. Nice post.

Sticky it!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:29 PM

No, Mr. Z, I'm not talking about everyone getting a Factory Service Manual for themselves, although if you can afford one they are certainly an excellent reference. But I'm trying to be reasonable here; everyone can afford $30 bucks or so. That's a couple of gallons of gas (Soon to be one gallon of gas ). And for a fraction of the cost of a FSM you can still get one made by the Chilton/Haynes/Clymers folks that is still pretty darned informative. It's kind of like getting a Cliff Notes version of A Tale of Two Cities; you get most of the plot and miss a bunch of the dialogue but can still do good enough to pass the test without having to read the original: In both versions the guy's head still comes off.

A good wiring diagram alone makes it worthwhile to my way of thinking, and you'll get a lot more than that even in one of those "commercial" manuals.

Last edited by mothman52; 04-09-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 PM

I completely agree with you Mothman. A basic outline can do wonders for your comprehension when it comes to the layout of a vehicle.

I wasn't suggesting that everyone run out a purchase a FSM, but with technology these days, at least use an on-line manuel...and it won't cost you a dime.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Question I agree completely - so could you help?

I bought my 2002 Montero Sport LTD about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I marched into Autozone two days later looking for a Chilton's, Haynes, whatever. All they had was something for 1983-1996 models. This seems to be the most popular Haynes-type book out there.

I do see on the above mentioned books4cars.com you have the choice of either the owners manual (which I already have) or the full-blown shopmanual for $230!

Does anybody know of something in between those two extremes?

Also, where would i find the online manuals that have been discussed? I could google, but you folks probably already know the best sites.

Thanks, looking forward to owning this vehicle and learning morfe about it!

Ken

Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Uh, looks like somebody just asked the same question, and there are some great answers on the thread https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38823

Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM

kennyfenderjazz, as you found out the hard way and I found out only after my little finger-wagging exercise above, the wonderful folks at Chilton's, Haynes and Clymers apparently have a thing against the Montero Sport model. Specifically, there appears to be no inexpensive dead tree version available. My apologies.

Haynes makes one for the Montero for the latter years, which I would recommend under the weak tea flag of "It's better than nothing" and covers many of the same items shared in both vehicles.

Of course, having a manual doesn't have to mean owning a paper version. There are on-line ones available, as any search of these forums will reveal. Like this source here: http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/

My larger point still stands: references are available and it can only makes sense to take advantage of all the help — both published and unpublished — that's out there.

Now if only Clymers, Haynes & Chiltons thought the same way....

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Default 1995 mitsubishi montero.

The person that I.purchased the vehicle from did not have the owners manual.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Thank you jazz fender

Quick Reply: So Why Don't You Have A Manual?