Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Tailgate refuses to close or open.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:39 AM
Unhappy Tailgate refuses to close or open.

Hi All,

We just received our awesome brand new grey Montero sport, 1 week ago. We live in an apartment in Qatar so I decided to take my cats outside for a stroll in a quiet area. So we get downstairs obviously with large Skudo cat ages. I totally love that the boot (sorry South African English) is so large. We load up and that's when it happens. The tailgate/ boot wont close. I pressed the button a few times. Okay so obvious first check is something blocking. Push the cages as far back as possible leaving a clearing of at least 20cm away from the tailgate. Nope it just refuses to close. Okay so I do something that you all are going to kringe about I force the tailgate closed. Yes, I know I already can feel my husbands eyes rolling so please hold the comments. Get to the destination and then it refuses to open. I assume I damaged the car. Okay get out do our business get back in and again refuses to close. Okay I reconcile to accepting the tailgate is stuffed. At the apartment again refuses to open, we offload the cages and not thinking I push the button and everything works smoothly. Tailgate closes perfect and opens perfectly. So I load the cats back into the car.... Yip they loved me for that. Guess what again tailgate refuses to close again. mmm offload again. My daughter jumps in - her belief that the car is so intelligent that it refuses to allow live animals in the boot. She sits on the edge and the tailgate closes smoothly on her. So now I am thinking there maybe a height sensor and the cages were too high? But that just means we can never pack the boot to go camping?? and if there is a height sensor...what is the height???? Please help. Have you experienced this before? I have trolled the internet but I cannot find any info.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:21 AM
Default Same issue

We recently bought a Pajero sport too (around 3 weeks ago) and have been having this issue non stop. Any info on why this happens and how to rectify would be great!

Old 06-17-2022, 08:12 PM

Leave the cats at home.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:05 AM

What year is your Montero? Is trunk/tailgate closure controlled electronically?

Old 06-19-2022, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by RyanH
We recently bought a Pajero sport too (around 3 weeks ago) and have been having this issue non stop. Any info on why this happens and how to rectify would be great!
So the best I have been able to figure out are that the sensors on the back of the car are the problem. if you are standing a bit close to the car when closing the tailgate or lots of family (eg the kids are walking around).

The best way I found to work around the problem, is to switch off the car lock all doors and unlock using the button on the key. Otherwise after a while it does reset.

Let me know if you figure anything else out. Since the problem is not easily replicated the service center are clueless in understanding the problem.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Bernie21; 06-19-2022 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:03 AM

lol

Old 06-19-2022, 03:04 AM

Our car is brand New 2022