Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Sunroof issues (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/sunroof-issues-35034/)

cougar8000 02-08-2010 01:13 PM

Sunroof issues

Hi,

I search but could not find an answer, thus posting this.

My wifes Montero has developed a problem with the sunroof. 8 out of 10 times when closing it would stop about 6-8 inches before fully closed position and retracts back. Trying closing it again works perfectly most of the times. I have tried lubing it, but still an issue. Do not see any obstruction there wither.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Riece 10-07-2011 11:54 PM

05 Montero Sunroof

See this sucks because I have a similar problem. Only my giant sunroof got stuck all the way open and wouldn't close when I parked. The motor was working but it was just making this clicking noise like something wasn't catching. I had to pull it forward just so it can stay closed. I really don't want to take it into a shop if its a simple fix or common problem. Anyone with any ideas??

Okcnate 10-12-2011 01:28 PM

One week after I bought my 2002 Montero, the big sunroof did what you both are explaining. I assumed the dealer wouldn't care as I bought this used/as-is.

So, I researched a fix and found that it was the motor located up near the windshield. I'm pretty handy and was going to do it myself, but I decided to give the dealer an earfull to see what they'd do for me.

Shockingly, they said the would fix it for FREE. They showed me what parts and labor came to and it was over $900. Whew.

I do remember that the entire headliner needs to come off.

RERM 10-13-2011 10:00 PM

:)Shockingly the same thing happened to me last week!!!...the dealer agreed and paid for the fix!!!

maco35 10-17-2011 01:29 AM

$900.00 to fix this? Mitsubishi Montero Limited 2002 Montero Limited - Sunroof - JustAnswer

2003MonteroLTD 12-20-2012 04:58 AM

I had this same problem in my 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited. Scary though of having to get into the huge sunroof assembly to fix it, but I detailed a quick nearly free fix on my Montero build blog here.

Sunroof issues are common problems on Mitsubishi cars where 2-3 screws come loose around the motor mount and it drops out of alignment. The solution deals with getting behind the headliner to access the motor, tightening (and loctite'ing) the loose screws, and reinitializing the sunroof. Cleaning, checking for leaks or rust and re-greasing your tracks is also good prevention before winter.

Corinne Corey Gogola McClure 07-24-2014 11:32 PM

Link to "Montero build blog here" is no longer active

I'd love to get this information. I have a 2002 Mitsu Montero Limited and with 119k miles, one of the few perks (besides no payments) is my mammoth sun roof. It suddenly won't close keeps "collapsing", although it never leaks. I am certain the headliner will need to be removed, so I'd like to try any DIY option possible. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 2003MonteroLTD (Post 289161)
I had this same problem in my 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited. Scary though of having to get into the huge sunroof assembly to fix it, but I detailed a quick nearly free fix on my Montero build blog here.

Sunroof issues are common problems on Mitsubishi cars where 2-3 screws come loose around the motor mount and it drops out of alignment. The solution deals with getting behind the headliner to access the motor, tightening (and loctite'ing) the loose screws, and reinitializing the sunroof. Cleaning, checking for leaks or rust and re-greasing your tracks is also good prevention before winter.

DMVmonty 08-04-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2003MonteroLTD (Post 289161)

On the money ^

This is a known issue with these trucks. We have owned 3 Monty limited's and 2 of them have had this issue. Drop the headliner, put the set screws back in, and locktite them.

brianjoneill 08-25-2014 10:19 AM

would love to see this blog but the link isn't working

Can you help us out DMVmonty?

redturboeclipse 03-08-2015 12:27 AM

had to fix my sunroof because sunroof just stopped opening and closing, but you can hear the motor working.

you have to access the sunroof motor. it is right next to the sunroof control.

in order to access it, YOU DO NOT. i repeat DO NOT have to remove the entire headliner. just remove a few components such as the vanity mirrors for passenger and driver side, and the clip that is affixed to the roof. You also have to remove both the a-pillar plastics and o-sh!t handles. The headliner is also fixed by a surprisingly effective velcro like attachment. Just pull it down a bit.

The headliner is sturdy so it does have some flex.

The sunroof motor is held by 3 screws. Chances are 1 or 2 of those screws backed out and are super loose or already out. Again there are 3. One is right in the middle and recessed. The other 2 are obvious. I have found tightening 2 of the 3 fixed it, BUT of course make sure all 3 are. If you lost the screw, all the 3 screws are the same. Make sure you find a replacement.

Tighten it good, some people said put locktite, I idn't bother, it was pretty easy and don't think it will come loose again how hard I tightened it.

you can test it before putting everything back.

If after you fixed it, when you "close" the sunroof all the way, it stops leaving a gap at the end, or its not aligned closed as it should (LOOK OUTSIDE AND SEE HOW IT SITS CLOSED) then you HAVE to recalibrate. FOLLOW THIS:

Get in the truck and make sure the sunroof is closed.
With the key OFF, press and hold the sunroof CLOSE button.
While holing the button in the CLOSE position, turn the ignition key on and then off FIVE times.
At the last key off you should here a slight noise from the sunroof motor, this is OK.
Release the CLOSE button.

The calibration is now deleted. Now we need to recalibrate:

SUNROOF INITIALIZATION (LEARNING MODE)
1. Continue to depress the sunroof open switch and move the roof lid glass to the full open position.
2. When the sunroof close switch is pressed once, the roof lid glass slides approximately 30 mm (1.2 in.) in the direction
in which it closes, and it stops automatically. Repeating this operation, move the roof lid glass to the fully
closed position.
3. Depress the sunroof close switch repeatedly until the roof lid glass moves to the full tilt–up position.
4. With the roof lid glass in the full tilt–up position, depress the sunroof close switch for approximately 3 seconds until
a clicking sound is heard from the sunroof–ECU.
5. Continue to depress the sunroof close switch and move the roof lid glass to the full tilt–down position.
6. Depress the sunroof open switch once and slide the roof lid glass to the fully open position.
7. Continue pressing the sunroof close switch to move the roof lid glass to the fully closed position.
CAUTION
When any of the following occur, repeat the initialization steps from Step 1:
 If operation of the sunroof switch has been stopped while the roof lid glass slides in Steps 5 and 7.
 If the sunroof does not operate when the sunroof switch has been depressed once.
 If the sunroof does not operate properly after initialization.

---------

then you are done.