Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Super select 4wd question (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/super-select-4wd-question-51864/)

jp1985 02-24-2018 02:34 AM

Super select 4wd question

hello all I was wondering about the super select 4x4 in my 2002 montero limited.
can I use 4high locked if it’s on payvment if it’s icy and snowy?
or is it specifically for non pavement?

thanks

JP

kcwebguy 02-24-2018 12:38 PM

The owner's manual specifically states that you are only to use 4x4 H Locked on non-paved roads or you can cause internal damage.

For me, as a rule of thumb, I only use 2H and 4H on paved roads. And the other 4H options on non-paved roads.

jp1985 02-24-2018 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by kcwebguy (Post 323114)
The owner's manual specifically states that you are only to use 4x4 H Locked on non-paved roads or you can cause internal damage.

For me, as a rule of thumb, I only use 2H and 4H on paved roads. And the other 4H options on non-paved roads.

Yeah i figured that would be the case.

I used it today on the road because it was a solid sheet of ice compacted with snow on top.
Regular 4 hi was slipping around.
Hope nothing is wrong with it i guess time will tell.
Thank you for the reply.

JP

HunterD 02-25-2018 04:10 PM

If you are talking about using 4HL for a short time to get out of the drive way or driving slowly on ice and snow, it will be OK. The low traction of snow and ice will permit some wheel slip. What you do not want to do is to drive at 60MPH with 4High Locked center diff. That will ruin your transmission.

jp1985 02-25-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD (Post 323128)
If you are talking about using 4HL for a short time to get out of the drive way or driving slowly on ice and snow, it will be OK. The low traction of snow and ice will permit some wheel slip. What you do not want to do is to drive at 60MPH with 4High Locked center diff. That will ruin your transmission.

Yeah I went over the cascade mountain range in it yesterday and it was a lot of solid ice on the road and was snowing like crazy.
The 4wd hi probably would’ve been ok but when I locked the diff in high 4 I noticed a lot better traction!
Was not going fast at all maybe 35 tops.
Best way to slide off mountain is to go fast lol.

This impatient guy flew by me doing probably 55-60 on the ice and ended up smashing his nice truck into the snowbank further down the road. Lol people like that think 4wd makes them invincible to ice/snow.

i haven’t noticed any damage to transmission or differential so I think it’s going to be ok.
If the road was clear at all it would’ve been in few places up there.

On a further note I’m so glad I got a montero I love the super select 4wd drive system. And did a lot of studying before buying it.
I tried to take it to a deep snow spot like 45” of snow and got high centered and had to dig out but I had a hell of a fun time up there and differential locks rule! First vehicle I’ve ever owned with locking diffs.

thanks again guys.

HunterD 02-25-2018 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by jp1985 (Post 323135)

Yeah I went over the cascade mountain range in it yesterday and it was a lot of solid ice on the road and was snowing like crazy.
The 4wd hi probably would’ve been ok but when I locked the diff in high 4 I noticed a lot better traction!
Was not going fast at all maybe 35 tops.
Best way to slide off mountain is to go fast lol.

This impatient guy flew by me doing probably 55-60 on the ice and ended up smashing his nice truck into the snowbank further down the road. Lol people like that think 4wd makes them invincible to ice/snow.

i haven’t noticed any damage to transmission or differential so I think it’s going to be ok.
If the road was clear at all it would’ve been in few places up there.

On a further note I’m so glad I got a montero I love the super select 4wd drive system. And did a lot of studying before buying it.
I tried to take it to a deep snow spot like 45” of snow and got high centered and had to dig out but I had a hell of a fun time up there and differential locks rule! First vehicle I’ve ever owned with locking diffs.

thanks again guys.

Next time you play in deep snow, make sure to first air down your tires. Fully infleted tires cut through the snow like pizza cutter and you get high centered. Aired down ones allow for more flex and larger foot print, so less sinking in the snow. Guess what... I've been high centered on deep snow on a back road too. But my tracks went couple hundred feet further than the last guy's :)

jp1985 02-25-2018 09:18 PM

Doh I forgot about that this time.

I aired down before to get to this place but it was much much deeper this time.
The snow plows had been by several times and piled it up big time.

I couldn't make it over the snow embankment this time. Aired down would've helped though.

I even have a 2.5" OME lift and 31's on my Montero.

Another point against me though is my skid plate is still off from rebuilding the engine since i cant find bolts to fit the freaking thing in.

Aired down and skid plate probably could've made it.

There was a early 80's yota lifted on like 40's he was able to plow through it. But he was skidding all over the mountain when he was on the road.

Oh well still had a great time and did find a place that i could make it in.

All and all i had a blast and was able to drive safely around there. I love locking diffs.