Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

tranny/coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Default RE: tranny/coolant

ORIGINAL: off roader

OK. I suspect it's either...
A) a leaking rubber hose that goes between the block and the firewall (to your heater core in your dash). You repair this by simply replacing the hoses. Takes probably 20 minutes tops. Make sure you run your engine to get all the excess air out of your cooling system after you replace them.

or

B) your O-ring to your water pump has gone bad and it's now leaking water into the valley between the cylinders and is pouring out the back of the engine which makes it look like it's coming from the transmission. This problem requires you to R&R your water pump to replace the O-ring.

There arent' too many other things that go bad w/ the cooling system except maybe your radiator needing a rodding but that's only an issue if you don't use distilled water (PURE water) w/ your coolant.

HTH.
i have a feeling it's one of those two things as well. though i've checked the hoses.. either way.. those shouldn't cost much to replace.. so i'll try those first.. if not.. i'll check on the water pump... i've got some pictures now, BUT not sure how to post them on this site... whitch tag do i use?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM

ok, i uploaded some pictures... hopefully this will work...

the first picture i took from the drivers side looking at the transmission.

second is basically another shot of the first...

third is me laying on my back underneath the drips... if you look closely... the drips are coming from the right side and dripping down.

last picture is from where they appear to be coming from.... if you follow the the right side of the transmission (while laying on your back under the vehicle) like going up the right side.. you see this opening...

[IMG]local://upfiles/14568/8C85829087794351A3EFFB89BCC8736F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14568/7E7F1705810140BDBE1FBC2187496DF1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14568/25F8CF6240FB4089B46DA290554A7AE5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14568/D5517F07874E4FA4A085AE16F4453185.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer

Pics posted up fine.

OK, you mentioned they're coming from the right side. IIRC this is a US vehicle right? If so, do you mean right as you look towards the front of the vehicle or right as you look towards the rear of the vehicle from the front?

Regardless from your pics it doesn't look like it's coming from the front of the engine and getting pushed back to the rear along the bottom so I'd be willing to up the ante that it's what I'm suggesting... unless you can see it coming from the front of the block and it's not shown on the pics.

As for the heater core hoses, on my 89 & 90 v6 3.0L SOHC engine (likely very similar configuration as yours) the heater core hoses are on the rear passenger side of the engine and connect 2 hard lines from the engine cooling system to 2 hard lines on the firewall. I can take a few pics later of mine if it helps.

HTH.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: off roader

Pics posted up fine.

OK, you mentioned they're coming from the right side. IIRC this is a US vehicle right? If so, do you mean right as you look towards the front of the vehicle or right as you look towards the rear of the vehicle from the front?

Regardless from your pics it doesn't look like it's coming from the front of the engine and getting pushed back to the rear along the bottom so I'd be willing to up the ante that it's what I'm suggesting... unless you can see it coming from the front of the block and it's not shown on the pics.

As for the heater core hoses, on my 89 & 90 v6 3.0L SOHC engine (likely very similar configuration as yours) the heater core hoses are on the rear passenger side of the engine and connect 2 hard lines from the engine cooling system to 2 hard lines on the firewall. I can take a few pics later of mine if it helps.

HTH.
it would be the drivers side of the tranny... so if you are under the vehicle, laying on you're back.. looking up... toes at the rear, head at the front.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM

If that's the case, it's likely to be your water pump. Not hard to r&R just a pain because you have to pretty much remove everything from the front of the engine. May make it easier to remove the radiator I heard but I didn't and was fine.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 AM

other than buying a chilton or haynes...

you know of anywhere i can pull up a diagram.. or schematic or something... so that i can do it myself...

(i don't even know where to begin with this engine... i'm used to my honda! lol)

Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Banned

Thats a coolant leak.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Thats a coolant leak.
... i already knew that....

just don't know from where.... and why it looks like it's coming off the transmission..

Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

I thought the answer was obvious. Try the radiator lines.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM

other than buying a chilton or haynes...

you know of anywhere i can pull up a diagram.. or schematic or something... so that i can do it myself...

(i don't even know where to begin with this engine... i'm used to my honda! lol)
I'll try to remember to post up a step by step this evening.

Quick Reply: tranny/coolant