Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

trans fluid change (or not)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Default RE: trans fluid change (or not)

Most GL-5 fluids will not "harm" your transfer case, but it will work better with a GL-4 manual transmission fluid.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 AM

It is said that GL-5s contain additives that will harm the yellow metals in a transmission. I know it can affect shifting in a manual transmission, but I doubt that you'd ever notice it in a transfer case.

When you say "work better", I assume you mean shifting? My transfer case never shifted so great anyway (on the fly, especially when cold) with the factory fill.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

Most GL-5 fluids will not "harm" your transfer case, but it will work better with a GL-4 manual transmission fluid.
that is incorrect for a mitsubishi transfer case. the high pressure additives of GL-5 will be corrosive to the brass in the synchronizer assemblys.
mitsu specifically says GL-4 for their shifted transfer cases.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 PM

Talk about an age old tale. I believe the Evos specify GL-5. Just another bs tale as in you "HAVE TA HAVE TA" use motorcycle specific oil in a motorcycle, or the wet clutch will slip........after over 200k miles, still no slippage.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: montero1

Talk about an age old tale. I believe the Evos specify GL-5. Just another bs tale as in you "HAVE TA HAVE TA" use motorcycle specific oil in a motorcycle, or the wet clutch will slip........after over 200k miles, still no slippage.
the EVO is NOT a shifted transfer case, and has no brass in it. And the transmission spec which used to be GL-4 is now GL-3.
GL-5 is corrosive to brass, whether you "like it" or not. Using it in a transmission/transfer case with brass is damaging and stupid.
if mitsu has a transfer case without brass (like the EVO, endeavor, outlander) the high pressure GL-5 is recommended.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 PM

You can calm down now Mr. Nastypants. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

P.S. You are wrong.........Let me know if you ever need the phone # to the tooth fairy.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Default Do You think you know more than Bob the Oil Guy!!??

BOBISTHEOILGUY

Schaeffer Oil
Member # 1

posted July 03, 2003 07:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I had time to post all the information on gl4 vers gl5 as many are concerned with copper corrosion in gl5. This is not correct. Gl-5 actually has higher requirements against copper corrosion than the gl-4.

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gl-4 gl-5 Copper Corrosion ASTM D 130: ASTM D 130: 3b max after 3max after 1h at 121.1degC. 3h at 121.1degC

Here is the basic about the difference in gl-4 vers gl-5

API GL-4
Denotes Lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to sever conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid gears operating under moderate speeds and loads. These oils MAY be used in selected manual transmissions and trans-axle applications where API MT-1 lubricants are unsuitable.

API GL-5

Denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high speed shock loads and low speed, high torque conditions. Lubricants qualified under MIL-L-2105D satisfy the requirements of the API GL-5 specifications.

API MT-1

Denotes lubricants intended for non synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy duty trucks. Lubricants meeting the requirements of API MT-1 provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear and oil seal deterioration. API MT-1 does not address the performance requirements of synchronized transmissions and trans-axles in passenger car and heavy duty applications.

Discontinued Api not in current use.

API GL-2
API GL-3
API GL-6

Anyway, this is just a touch of what the difference is between some of the classifications. The big difference is EP additives and the type of gears they are designed for. BOTH GL-4 and GL-5 address the copper issue and Both are compatible in this area.

There's more to this on specs and such but as I was researching this, I kept looking at the schaeffers 267 gear oil tech data and noticed that they show to cover the MT-1 specs, the SAE J2360 spec, the MIL 2105 spec all of which makes a better oil than standard gl-4. As pointed out above, its the design for specific load and gear types that make it different and that's based on the fact there is a difference in ep additives between the two.

I hope this helps clear up the mis information about corrosion to copper and such.
Posts: 1764 | From: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

Pablo

Amsoil Sponsor
Member # 512

posted July 03, 2003 08:18 PM
GREAT post Bob. I almost have quit explaining that modern GL-4 and/or Gl-5 will NOT eat yellow metal (Cu, brass, bronze) - that is a strong myth.
Posts: 16101 | From: Duvall WA - where the rocks and weasels are large | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged |

BOBISTHEOILGUY

Schaeffer Oil
Member # 1

posted July 04, 2003 12:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pablo:
GREAT post Bob. I almost have quit explaining that modern GL-4 and/or Gl-5 will NOT eat yellow metal (Cu, brass, bronze) - that is a strong myth.

I know, it does get somewhat fustrating but that's what we're here for, to help explain as most of this info gets started by someone that has no real clue. I can understand that as there just isn't enough info available to help educate about these things.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Default RE: Do You think you know more than Bob the Oil Guy!!??

suit yourself.

newer fluids can be less corrosive, but as you have no idea which is and which isnt, its not a good idea. Plus, the shifting will generally be poor if you use a GL5 in a mitsu trans, as the friction modification is not usually helpful for synchros.
the modern level of corrosiveness is less than it was, but dont kid yourself in thinking its not present.

A general rule of thumb, do not use GL5 in the transmission unless the manufacturer recommends it.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 AM

I wouldn't use it in a transMISSION simply because it will shift clunky, but I rarely shift into 4wd on the fly, because even with the factory fill it grinded, so I stop, put it in neutral, shift, then go.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:33 AM

I have an 03 montero with ~60k miles and have been doing ATF changes (just drain plug) every 7500 miles. I have been using ATF+3 with no problems .... yet. Thanks for the information guys - since Im at 60k miles, I should do a more thourough flush including cooler this time with either ATF+4 or diamond iii. I hope I did not comprimise the life of the tranny by running ATF+3 for the last 3 years. Does anyone know for sure if diamond-iii is the same as ATF+4? My dealer is quoting me $5.30/qt for diamond sp-iii ATF......My monty needs 10 quarts for complete flush - ouch!

Quick Reply: trans fluid change (or not)