Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   Transfer shifter (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/transfer-shifter-30044/)

Skiddy 11-11-2008 07:29 AM

Transfer shifter

I have a slight bit of a problem with the transfer shifter on my '00 Pajero (ActivTrak/Super Select 4WD). When engaged in 2H, it now feels loose and moves around to the right and left slightly. Never had this problem before...it was pretty solid.When shifting into 4H, it takes a bit of effort and even when it is engaged, the front wheel lights do not stay on constantly. They do not flash momentarily like they do when 4WD is disengaged, but they stay lit and if I hit a small pothole or something on the road, they go off. Sometimes, shifting into 4H causes the orange centre differential locklight to come on and it does not seem to follow the pattern printed on the shifter.The 4WD system on these trucks rarely fail. Could the guide plate be loose? Any other possibilities? Thank you!

carlover626 11-11-2008 09:28 AM

RE: Transfer shifter

I don't have your 4x4 system (AWD, 4H, 4L only) however I just had the switch on the xfer case replaced due to a flickering 4x4 dash light.

When I first got my MSthe 4x4 shifter linkage froze and I couldn't even move the shifter, whichwas stuck in between AWD and 4H. The dealer took the shifter apart and told me the linkage loosened up over time, so they had to remove/tighten/replace. It moves fine now, over a year later.

jnord24 12-22-2008 12:33 PM

I have that same problem right now. I have a 02 montero sport limited AWD that I have owned from new (12 miles). It now has almost 80K on it. I leave my truck in AWD most of the time. I recently went to shift into 4WD to "exercise" the gears and it wouldn't shift in. The transfer lever feels like it's physically stuck. Won't shift forward, won't shift backwards. I took it to the dealership when I had less than 20K on it for other work and also advised them it wouldn't shift into 4H right. However, after having to convince the service advisor that my car was AWD not 4WD, by showin gthem the transfer shifter....who knows what they did. They stated on ticket could not duplicate.

I was thinking about pulling the center console out to take a look under the area to see if something is jammed in there or what is going on, but i didn't want to do that without knowing what might cause this problem. I don't want to waste a whole bunch of time.

I went nuts. I checked the passenger fuse compartment. The fuse listed as A/T does not have pins in it to hold the fuse in nor was there a fuse in it. So I'm assuming that on the limited they moved the fuse somewhere else. I checked all the other fuses, and all are good - including thosse under the hood. I also checked the AWD ECU, and it scared me that it doesn't have power.

I went through the shop manual and there is no good description of the shifter linkage or how to service it. I guess trial and error.

carlover626 12-22-2008 01:02 PM

I'll reply here...you shouldn't be double posting.

This happened to me, and the rods and linkage for the x-fer caseshifter can wiggle loose over time and cause what you have described. They say to get in the habit of moving that thing on a monthly basis...just don't drive around on a drypavement as you normally would.

On mine (@ 100K miles) they had to remove, tighten, and lube all of the shifter linkage, as it had froze up. I personally had a dealer take care of my problem at a cost of about $200.00.

jnord24 12-22-2008 03:35 PM

Double-posting?

I'm not really sure if that's my problem. I opened up the area and found the rubber material inside the boot for the shifter all broken apart. A chunk was actually on top of the gears and it doesn't look like i have all the pieces. So some of it might be down in the gears. I didn't see any linkage. Only the vaccuum line which actuates the transfer switch.

carlover626 12-22-2008 07:26 PM

Yeah, you have the same question in the other post...

How is your x-fer case fluid? Have you used 4-HI / 4-LO often in 80K miles?

I don't know what to tell you, other than what I have. I recall that they removed quite a bit of the counsel when they did mine.

jnord24 12-22-2008 09:41 PM

Oh, when I went to post, the page errored out so I thought it didn't get posted.

Fluid looked good. Minor shavings on the magnetic drain plug. However, upon removal of the transfer shifter, because of the design, one of the undermounted bolts fell in the gears, causing me to have to pull off the access panel and fish around for the bolt. I put in mobile 1 synthetic gear oil.

The more I think about it, since the shifter is driven by vaccuum, I think the red rubbery stuff has something to do with that since it is under the rubber boot of the shifter which the vaccuum plugs into.

Which, if that were all broken up and it wasn't getting proper vaccuum, would explain my other few issues I have, such as the engine dying upon first start like a vaccuum leak.

Once I reinstall the shifter I will know shortly since all of that material used to create the vaccuum would now be gone.

jnord24 12-23-2008 11:50 AM

As of today, I put it all back together. I cleaned out all the red rubbery stuff. I called the mitsu dealership to inquire as to the price of the transfer control lever assembly and/or whether or not the rubbery piece was serviceable. It's not. The entire assembly is $262 so that's out of the question unless I can get one from a j/y. Dealership said that the rubbery material only acts as a guide for the lever so I put it all back together for now.

I am now able to shift from AWD to 4WD, however, the indicator light doesn't come on. I know that I'm in 4WD because when I turn it is a pain in the a$$. So I put it back in AWD and I took the vaccum line that runs to the boot off and drove around, and I'm not getting any vaccum to the boot. I plugged the vaccum line with my finger and there is no suction. I think I read somewhere that the indicator light is driven by this vaccuum hose? Anyone know?

Every time I have had my truck to the dealership I have had to argue with them that it is actually an AWD/4WD and in AWD all the time not 4WD and I've had really bad experiences with them.

I had a platinum warranty that I paid $1500 for from them when I bought it which covered EVERYTHING except maintenance items - including O2 sensors....and they refused to replace my 02 sensor under warranty. I had to take it to another shop, where they called the warranty company, they came out, agreed it was covered and replaced them. BTW...dealership wanted to charge me $600 for 1 o2 sensor. o2 sensor itself was 190 and it takes about 10 minutes to change with a lift. Maybe it's just Miami. After having it in for service, I left the dealership and my truck died. Upon inspection, I found my battery cables loose. I took it to them one time complaining about hard shifting and they indicated "unable to verify" even though I drove it with a mechanic for the test drive and he witnessed it. By then I just wanted my car back after 2 weeks. I started getting bucking, so following the manual, I changed the a/t fluid, and voila the hard shifting and bucking gone! of course they probably wanted me to have them change the a/t on a repeat visit becuase then they could have charged me $200.

Now I realize that I can't do anythiing worse to my truck than the dealership. Probaby do even less damage then they would do since I read forums and care about the truck.

carlover626 12-24-2008 11:01 AM

I do know that the system is controlled by vacuum, however I am not sure if that ties into the 4x4 light...your 2002 4wd system has two switches that tell the light to come on. This is what I was told by a dealership in Denver.

My light won't come on sometimes either, but the more I shift that thing back and forth the morethe light works as it should. This is one of the reasons I asked if you use 4-Hi or 4-Lo.

spoons 02-04-2010 08:54 PM

I am in the process of the shop replacing the rear main seal when they tried to put together the shift lever assembly the nylon bushing crumbled. In order to get the new bushing, you have to buy the entire shift lever assembly. WTF! Does any one know the part number for the shift lever assembly. I will try to re-design that bushing?

Brian Richardson

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS AWD
2006 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6 speed manual
1997 Plymouth Prowler with matching Prowler Trailer
2003 Mercedes Benz C230 (sold)
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)