Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Default transmission fluid

should i just drain the tranny fluid and put new or should i also change filter,i have 200,000 miles on my 2000 montero sport xls,the fluid has been changed regularly but not the filter...thanks

Last edited by biggy; 09-10-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 PM

It is entirely up to you. If you change/drain fluid and there is no ****** of clutches or gears coming out, and fluid is not totally horrible, I believe you don't need to change filter. You'll be Ok with just refreshing the fluid. On the other hand, some people religiously change filter nearly every time they change trans fluid.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
It is entirely up to you. If you change/drain fluid and there is no ****** of clutches or gears coming out, and fluid is not totally horrible, I believe you don't need to change filter. You'll be Ok with just refreshing the fluid. On the other hand, some people religiously change filter nearly every time they change trans fluid.
Do you know if these 2000 MOntero sport xls 3.0 automatic tranny have the filter on top of oil pan,cause I heard some have it internal..thank you

Last edited by biggy; 09-10-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM

My guess would be that it is "normal" - i.e. right behind the oil pan. Just in case, get on one of the Mitsubishi parts sites, type in your VIN and check out diagrams to see what sort of transmission layout comes out. Here is one I found for 2000 Sport XLS

Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 PM

Ok thank you HunterD,just one more question,i went under my montero to check it out and the oil pan has which i think is the dipstick tube attached to it im not too sure what it is ,does that tube just pry off?Appreciate all your help HunterD....thank you

Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 PM

According to the diagrams I've seen the transmission oil pan has a short stub pipe coming from it. Then the longer tube that goes to the engine compartment connects to it. There is an o-ring between the two pieces that seals the connection.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
According to the diagrams I've seen the transmission oil pan has a short stub pipe coming from it. Then the longer tube that goes to the engine compartment connects to it. There is an o-ring between the two pieces that seals the connection.
Ok cause I need to replace the gasket on the pan,so I'll check it out,thank you for your help HunterD.....

Old 09-14-2019, 06:09 PM

biggy.......I did a detailed thread with many pictures on how to change Tranny fluid in my 94 Montero.....probably the same process for yours. I think you will find my "How To" article very useful. Here is the link to it: I dont know how to link it, so just type this title into your "search", and it will come up. Its under the Mitsie Montero Forum:

How to Change Tranny Oil/Filter -- 1994 Montero SR

Old 09-14-2019, 06:29 PM

1960stud,yes I already changed the tranny oil and filter very easy,only difference I think is no crossmember to remove on my 2000...fairly easy to do,thank you...

Old 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM

biggy........Otay. Good to hear you didnt have to remove that cross-member.....saved you some time for sure. I bet you are glad you changed the filter after you saw the debris sticking on it, and the metallic slime on those pan magnets. Im sure you are sleeping better at night now.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid