Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Limited

Old 04-05-2021, 11:25 AM
Default 2001 Montero Limited

Hello all,

I started having an issue with this vehicle. It would be running fine, but then I get on the gas and all the dash warning lights would come on as if it were not charging. If I go off the gas where the engine load would decrease, then it would return to normal. I notice when all the lights would come on, the lights and headlights would get very bright. I stopped to have them test battery and they said it was bad, although it was holding a charge. I then removed the positive cable to show the guy the alternator was working and when I increased the engine speed at the throttle cable with the positive disconnected, my headlights strobe extremely bright as if they were HID lights, and immediately let off the throttle cable. When I got ready to leave I noticed the vehicle dash, windows, interior lights, wipers, sunroof, park lights, clock, radio, was not working. There was about 8 10 amp and 1 of the 15 amp fuses that had blown. I replaced them all, I nothing changed. Soon as I turn the ignition key, I could hear them popping again,

Has anyone experienced this and would could the problem be??? The vehicle will still start, but without any of this accessories, and no charging now from alternator. It is hard to stop the vehicle and it has lack of power in D going forward. The Heated seats and brake light seem to be the only accessories working. I pulled the BIG fuses under the hood and did a continuity test and they seem to be ok. I don't know what else could be the problem and why the fuses are blowing now as soon as I turn the key to accessories.

Any assistance is appreciated!!!

Also, I forgot to mention when the warning lights all lite up, the digital clock / compass display would show "Abnormal current input now. Shutting down system in 7 secs" or something like that

Old 04-05-2021, 03:32 PM

I would remove the alternator and get it tested, it could be over charging and the main problem to all your issues.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:50 PM

Thank you Ivan 3.0. I did take it off, one part store tested it several times, it passed, then another part store tested it and it fail twice. Then the other store tested it again and it passed prob more than seven times.

Well, the problem I am trying to fix now is why are this 5 or 6 fuses under the dash keep blowing. When I replaced them again earlier, with the key to ACC position, they pop soon as you put them in. If I remember correctly, it is fuse 1,5,6,7,8. (1 15 amp and the rest 10 amp) 1 is the rear wiper??? not sure why as it was not on when I revv'd the engine with the positive cable loose. I wonder if the high current or voltage spike made some wires get hot and stick before the fuses blew. Also under the hood is a Yellow square box that you pull up containing 2 10amp fuse. The one that looks like interior light keeps blowing.)

Old 04-05-2021, 10:27 PM

Check all your lights, especially the brake/tail lights. If one has failed and the broken filament lands the wrong way, it can cause all sorts of issues. Kind of a shot in the dark but when I had one do this, the brake lights stayed on, and when I'd press the brake pedal, the dash lights would turn on and off. I've even heard of this causing a horn to keep blaring. I would also check your ground points and the main positive connector to the fuse box, check everything for corrosion. The main grounding point for the battery is located behind the A/C compressor, you can easily access it from the driver side fender well. As a precautionary measure, remember to disconnect the battery before touching anything electrical, I don't want anyone getting hurt.

This is where the main positive connector is for the fuse box:
Spoiler

Old 04-05-2021, 11:51 PM

I like Naeos_Valkarian's idea - disconnect all possible loads at the ends of the harnesses for which you're blowing fuses. Plug in New fuse. If not blown - re-connect one light/load at a time until you go,d out shock component causes the short.
To help with this, you might want to consider getting re-settable fuses. You'll see when it triggers, then reset it and keep testing until you locate the culprit.
https://tinyurl.com/5wmj6em5

Last edited by HunterD; 04-05-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:04 AM

Good Morning all,
Thank you Naeos_Valkarian & HunterD for the advice and quick response. LORD's Will, I will report back what I find.

Blessings!!!

Old 04-15-2021, 04:03 PM

Glory to GOD!!! :-) I bought a new battery and installed it. Before I did this, i put my volt meter on the negative battery cable and the positive cable and was getting continuity. I moved positive cable and it stopped. I got all the fuses replaced. The only fuse that keeps blowing now is the ABS fuse under dash by driver door and the wiper fuse was blowing, but it stopped blowing.

Now the SRS light is on, the Brake light is on, the Front Wipers do not work and there is no power to the Climate Control, but the rear fan comes on. So far, those are the items not working and Im not sure what is going on with them. All the fuses are fine except that ABS fuse. Does the front wipers have a relay and if so where is it?

When I turn on the rear wipers, I can hear a relay clicking somewhere under the dash. Also, why would the climate control panel have no power unless it got burned out

Old 04-15-2021, 04:29 PM

Oh also, when I rev engine up to maybe 3k rpms, the warning lights all light up until I drop the rpms. This is what it was doing before all this happen with the fuses blowing. So maybe something is touching or the alternator is over charging at higher rpms...I had it tested, but it passed the test, but the machine does not spin that fast I don't think.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:05 AM

Something is wrong with your alternator. I think a "fresh" battery is masking it though.