Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
I was unaware of this, but want to fix it ASAP!
8.33%
I was unaware, but so what?
8.33%
I have $600+ to fix it and will take my chances.
0%
I cannot find the part to fix this.
16.67%
I was aware, but so what?
66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Is this a "costly disaster wiating to happen"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Default RE: Is this a "costly disaster wiating to happen"?

Steering is looser in 2WD and tighter in 4WD. And that's the only reason I ever use 2WD.
However, even in 2WD steering is much harder than my Sienna. Steering ratio and turns lock to lock seem similar (15.97 vs 15.5 and 3.16 vs 3.4), so I'm not sure what's the difference, 18" vs. 16" maybe?

ORIGINAL: OTO27

Speaking of worries, I dont wana start a new thread for this so I'll go a bit off topic on this one. Has any one noticed the steering to be a bit harder on our vehicles than most? I mean like when you turn the steering weel it feels a bit harder to turn than lets say my old lancer RA, I know its a bigger car, but is this normal? or should I have it cheked?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:13 PM

Christian,

I kinda with you on this one. The holes in the grill are much too large. I already have a number of small dings on my radiator.
I have seen similar issues on other vehicles, and the mods normally involved hardware wires or mesh (small mesh chicken wire or large mesh mosquito net). These are normally cut to size, painted and attached over the existing grille. I guess similar to what you're doing now. Because the existing grille holes are so large, a slight reduction should not affect air flow.
The only after market grilles I've seen made explicitly for this type of application are for show cars, and they normally look like small mesh chicken wire.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: maharajah

Christian,

I kinda with you on this one. The holes in the grill are much too large. I already have a number of small dings on my radiator.
I have seen similar issues on other vehicles, and the mods normally involved hardware wires or mesh (small mesh chicken wire or large mesh mosquito net). These are normally cut to size, painted and attached over the existing grille. I guess similar to what you're doing now. Because the existing grille holes are so large, a slight reduction should not affect air flow.
The only after market grilles I've seen made explicitly for this type of application are for show cars, and they normally look like small mesh chicken wire.

The upper and lower sports mesh grill is available in Europe. As far as I'maware it's purely for cosmetic purposes although it would do the job.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Which is why it's so frustrating here in the states. It seems Australia, Europe, and Japan have all the nice accessories for the Outlander, and here we can't even get rubber floor mats.
[:@]

Old 03-10-2007, 03:51 PM

Yeah but we're the ones paying double what you guys pay in the states, $49,257 to be precise.sh*t happens!

Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 PM

49k! Where do you live? I would of bought one for 30k here and sold it to you for 40k , you still save 10k.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:25 PM

I went down to my local hardware store and bought a 3' sq. piece of bulk window screen. I rough measured about 28" W X 25" L and fitted the screen down through the top of the radiator support, of course, in front of the a/c condensor. I had to remove the air cleaner intake from the box to the inlet. Just two small plastic screws and plastic bushings hold the front of the air snorkel to support. I used some safety wire and attached the screento holes in the top ofthe radiator support. I didn't attach the bottom, but it extends a little further than the a/c condenser by about 2 to 3". Putting the air cleaner snorkel back in was a little bit of a snag, with thescreen material being in close proximity, but just take your time.Putting the airbox back together correctly was the hardest part. The bottom has two square pegs that fit into associated holes and the top has only two snaps.I found the only way to really know both of the bottom pegs were in was to take the air filter output the bottom together firstthen like a clamshell, open the top and fit the airfilter down in making sure the bottom stays together. No big deal, only cost me about $5. Cheap way to keep bugs and other debris from impacting and or clogging the condenser and thus cutting down airflow to the radiator. And no, I didn't notice my temperature running any hotter or electric cooling fans turning on any sooner.

2007 Outlander XLS AWD

JH

Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: antlip

49k! Where do you live? I would of bought one for 30k here and sold it to you for 40k , you still save 10k.

UK. You don'tget all the goodies and your steering wheel is on the wrong side lol. The Japanese had to do all that work to put it on the other side for you guys and yet you still get it dirt cheap, not fair.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: antlip

Also if lines that need air flow to cool them down are hidden and wrapped in some kind of protectant then how would they cool down? These lines are designed to be in the direct flow of the air. Have you ever driven or owned a car that caught a rock to any line on your car and broke it?
Yes, I have had that happen before. $600 + $70 to fix it. I know all cars have that issue with the lower area being totally exposed, but really, in the Mitsu the lines are totally out in front of the radiator, while in many other (if not all) other vehicles I have owned, the lines were inside or behind the radiator. Thank God, the only car that I have had an issue with was a '92 Miata. You know, some people laughed, but really, it IS an issue and I will remedy it with 1/4" hardware cloth. I will take a pic of what I am using. It doesn't block air flow at all (we have tested it) and it would block the biggest rocks... yes the small ones would get through, but no damage done (other than bending the radiator aluminum), but that is acceptable. Don't get me wrong, I don't need my car to be inside a bubble, I know you can be hit with rocks on the windshield, matter of fact, that has happened once too often.But losing an A/C condenser line... that is REALLY messed up... and expensive! [&:] I guess the joke is on people who KNOW about this and they get hit with a rock on their A/C condenser and then they start yelling "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" for 1/2 an hour non-stop, while stopped on the side of the road and people driving by thinking "Geeez... another crack user... what is happening to our world". I have actuallyseen it happen to someone else.This oneguy had the same problem, but in a amateur track outside Orlando.... he wasn't too happy. I certainly could relate.I learned my lesson after that Miata... in fact people from my car club were like "dude, why didn't you put a net over or (not a pool screen, but the hardware cloth)"? I felt stupid for not doing anything to preventthe time the rock busted my A/C condensor... but lesson learned. I drove a month and a half without A/C and in FL that is not fun.Now I think I ought to tell you about the issue and let you decide whether or not to put some kind of net... which of course, should NOT restrict airflow... that is why Hardware cloth (1/4") seem to be the way to go.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: zontarh

ORIGINAL: maharajah

Christian,

The upper and lower sports mesh grill is available in Europe. As far as I'maware it's purely for cosmetic purposes although it would do the job.

Zontarh: Oh, my radiator is getting dingged up as well... two small dingsso far, but who knows what the future will hold for my radiator! If I remember my Miata's radiator correctly, oit got so dinged up, my mechanic said I should either take a small knife and GENTLY straighten them out to ensure proper airflow or, since they had to replace the Condenser, we ended up replacing teh radiator, as it had a big hole in it. Hey, those are some cool pics of that grill. I WISH they sold it here.... I have had no luck finding it on eBay and cannot seem to find that accessory anywhere else. Do you have any website links for European Mistu dealers who sell that mesh grill?? I would get one for the lower part of the radiator in a heartbeat!! Thanks for the great post! I definitely like the pics!