Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2.0 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Default 2.0 Performance

I just purchased a 2019 Outlander Sport LE 2.0 Auto AWC. I only have a few hundred miles on it, but already can tell the 2.0 engine is poor on acceleration and mid range power.
I was wondering if any of you outlander sport owners have found ways to improve performance. I had a 15 sport that was much the same problem, I put a K & N filter and synthetic oil in the 15. Had minor improvement.
Thinking a scan tool to change the acceleration settings might help? Anyone tried this? The only other thing I can think of is a cat back or just a muffler change could help.
Overall I like my purchase, but the lack of power sucks.I now have 1400 miles on the Outlander and I see a small improvement in power. During a trip I put 89 grade fuel in and that helped mileage and performance. On the other hand it developed a rattle on the dash cover over the gauges.

Last edited by Mit o Sport; 04-16-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Continue post
Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 PM

I disagree, the engine is ok, but it’s mated to a horrible CVT which sucks the performance out of the engine.
thanks Nissan!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 AM
Default Transmission

If that is the issue then you can reprogram the shift points and power curves.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 AM

Put down your comments after 2 years of driving. do note this is a 1 tonne vehicle powered by FWD 2.0 engine. By God it is what i needed to pull a 5 adults and 5 bicycles(3 on rear rack and 2 on top) up hills and still able to overtake sedans. the CVT gets better with age for mine.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Default Reply to Put down comments

Yes it’s not broken in yet, and I haven’t put a K & N filter on it yet. So it’s early in the motors life. You didn’t say what your 2.0 was in. A truck? Standard or manual? Is it also a Mitsubishi motor?? Would like to know more about your ride.
So I hope in 8-10 K miles the performance will increase, this is my 2nd Outlander Sport, I had a 2015 with the same engine. Same issues with low power, and the trans had problems. I’m going to wait and see.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:09 PM

i am driving a 2016 outlander 2.0 FWD. in the beginning it feels sluggish, but after 2 services it gets better. do note our services down under for an outlander is annual service or 15k KM. no point to change to the K&N filters, you will introduce more dust into the engine plus you will have to invest into the recharge and cleaning kit. Use a 95 RON and above fuel is sufficient.
I am using E10 with 94 Ron here which is good enough for me and turning off the ECO mode when i want to have a quick boost or shifting it to Ds when overtaking does the job. have fun and keep us updated.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Keep in mind most modern transmissions are adaptive or learning transmissions. The ECU will monitor the driving and refine the transmission's performance over time based on your driving habits and conditions. So if you're only at 1500 miles, that's not a lot of data for the ECU to work with. Taking it out of Eco mode will boost the performance as well. This article is 12 years old, but it gets the point across: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...transmissions/

Also keep in mind it's a 2.0 non turbo engine powering a fairly large AWD vehicle. It's never going to be fast. Not sure what that bloke from Australia was talking about with the gas or the air filter though. K&N is a good product and I can't see how it would introduce more dust into the engine. You might get a couple more horsepower out of the engine with that filter, and they last a lot longer than the paper filters, so the refresh kit expense is a nonissue.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
Keep in mind most modern transmissions are adaptive or learning transmissions. The ECU will monitor the driving and refine the transmission's performance over time based on your driving habits and conditions. So if you're only at 1500 miles, that's not a lot of data for the ECU to work with. Taking it out of Eco mode will boost the performance as well. This article is 12 years old, but it gets the point across: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...transmissions/

Also keep in mind it's a 2.0 non turbo engine powering a fairly large AWD vehicle. It's never going to be fast. Not sure what that bloke from Australia was talking about with the gas or the air filter though. K&N is a good product and I can't see how it would introduce more dust into the engine. You might get a couple more horsepower out of the engine with that filter, and they last a lot longer than the paper filters, so the refresh kit expense is a nonissue.
It is pure physics: more resistance = more efficient filtering and vice versa less resistance = less efficient filtering. One just cannot have a cake and eat it at the same time. Anyone wishes to dive into this please read post #4 in this thread
In the same thread under post #10 you can find a video that provides a proof that a K&N performance filters do not provide benefits in nimbleness.
As to the rest I agree with "copyboy311", this car is simply not a rocket.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:50 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by copyboy311

How ya doing mate.
No offence, don't get me wrong i used K&N AIR Filters before, which it needs to be cleaned with my oil change for my previous cars that is every 6 months or 5000 KM. And yes i can vouch that it does improves performances and also increase fuel intake as well but that is another story(relates to heavy foot). and the filter did last entire lifetime of the or even longer. But as i was saying here down under my Outie comes with 7 year warranty and fixed cap servicing price which is 15000km or 12 months. So by changing the air filter means additional cost plus the refresh kit cost. And risk voiding the warranty and also introducing more dust. More air flow = more dust. Do note all the articles you read or videos you watched on Youtube is only talking about the performance of the engine not whether it increases the dust intake. And bear in mind K&N filter is targeted for performance engines which the user will be performing more frequent services, not for a lazy family man like me with kids who will spend more time to load bicycles on and off the car and packing it to the brim with camping gear. All best to all of us.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:36 AM

i have to buy a towing truck any suggestion for me, 2 options we have Ford towing truck and GMC towing truck which will you suggest? we have to use it for Roadside Assistance Services.

Quick Reply: 2.0 Performance