Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2003 Outlander "unrepairable"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Default 2003 Outlander "unrepairable"

2003 car at the dealer in Nashville and has been there a month. The dealer reports that it is unrepairable as are 3 other similar cars. It overheats when the A/C is on. This is a new problem in a car that has previously been reliable.

Anyone heard of this? I've searched without significant results.

Greatly appreciate your insight.

Ken Wright

Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Default RE: 2003 Outlander "unrepairable"

Weve got those TSBs up there on the menu.... Assuming they keep u pwith it. If so, theres likely to be something up there

Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 PM

Great,

Looked at the TSB list above and other than listing the system that is effected it has little other information. Anyone been down this road before?

I've never seen a car that is unrepairable simply because it overheats when the A/C is turned on.

Thanks,

Ken

Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Well, I came across a Jetta that would die everytime you turn on the AC. Bad bushings or something in the AC caused too much drag and would kill the engine.

Im pretty sure the dealers an idiot, if it overheats with the AC on and it didnt before then somethings wrong with whatever comes on or doesnt come on with the AC. I would suspect the fan controller.

Keep in mind that anythings repairable as long as parts are available and you can get the dang thing apart (had a few things that wouldnt come apart few other things I couldnt get parts for). Ive repaired equipment for 20yrs, theres nothing that cant be fixed. Spending the time and or money is a different matter.

at least the AC works every american car I own right now, which would be 3 and one is only a 2001, has a bad evaporator. [:@]

Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 AM

Just recently there was a recall on the cooling fan controller.....I just took mine it and got it replaced only took like 30 minutes.....maybe this could be the problem

Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 AM

It sounds like a radiator clog. Flush the radiator but don't do it yourself. Go to places that have presuure flush.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Step 1 get your car out of that dealership. There is no such thing as an "unrepairable" vehicle, short of one that has been crushed. Don't pay them a dime. If they give you any hassle call Mitsubishi. Step 2 call Mitsubishi customer service directly and explain the situation. Tell them there is no way in hell your car is returning to that dealer ever again. Have them suggest another dealer in your area, and then call that dealership and speak to the service manager, expalining the situation. If he sounds less then confident that it can be repaired move on. EVERY car can be fixed. Period. Especially a newer one with parts redily available. These guys don't know what they are doing.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM

Definitely go with the advice of evoracer. Sounds to me like it is a crappy stealership.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:25 PM

unrepairable?
rediculous. You either have a failing cooling fan, thermostat, or inefficient radiator.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:55 PM

What is an unrepairable car? If its broken then replace it. The only way a car is no longer useable is if the amount of damage is something like 75% of the value of the car and then its not worth fixing. But I have seen entire AC systems replaced before.

Quick Reply: 2003 Outlander "unrepairable"