Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Problem removing power steering belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Default Problem removing power steering belt

Newbie posting (couldn't find anything on this elsewhere),

Have an 09 Outlander V6 (in Ottawa, Canada). I'm changing the timing belt but can't get the power steering pump to rotate so I can remove the power steering belt. The manual shows a tensioner between the crankshaft pulley and the power steering pulley, but the belt goes directly from one pulley to the other, nothing in between. I've changed several other timing belts. Never had this problem before. There is usually a bolt to adjust tension but I can't find it or what is binding the power steering pump, even after loosening every bolt in sight and tapping it with a hardwood stick and hammer. Cramped quarters so possibly I'm missing one last bolt.

Suggestions, diagrams, pictures, whatever help would be greatly appreciated.

Poppamitsu

Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 PM

PM sent to link to the service manual. hope it helps.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Hi,
It turns out that there is NO tensioner on the p/s belt of my 09 model of Outlander with the V6, despite what the manuals and local dealerships say and the p/s pump does NOT rotate for adjustment of tension. You need to cut the belt, pry the crankshaft pulley off with belt attached, or roll the belt off by rotating the crankshaft pulley. The belt is a special stretch one, hence no need for a tensioner. A new belt comes with some kind of kit to help roll the new one on. I've never encountered this before. Might save money for Mitsubishi but creates headaches and wasted time for shade-tree mechanic like me. Thanks again for the link. It will definitely be useful down the line.

poppamitsu