Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Default 2007 Outlander AC problem

My Outlander AC went out. Clutch not engaging. Static pressure is fine. Was making a funny ticking noise for a year or so. I figure clutch bearing went or the compressor went and fried the clutch. Will be checking on voltage at the clutch tomorrow to narrow this down.

Note that prices for just a clutch from mitsu is more than buying an aftermarket compressor kit that comes with everything except the condenser.

So, I am preparing myself for an ac system replacement. I have done this before on my eclipse which munched a compressor.

Was wondering if anyone has been down this road with a 2007+ Outlander.

Does the expansion valve come out fairly easy from the engine bay side?

What is best way to get the condenser and dryer out? (front the front, or pull the radiator).

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:55 PM

Just read your reply elsewhere, didn't know you had a problem though. It does sound like the bearing if the unit doesn't get much use, it ends up being a belt idler. Grab it & feel if it is wobbly.. Mighta wrecked the coil if that's the case. Here in S. FL a/c runs most of time, so troubles are fewer. If the ticking/clicking is only while engaged, it's probably the valve plate inside. Keep in mind, compressor units are very universal. If you can mount it and hook up hoses, vac it, charge it, it will make cold air! The clutch could be available aftermarket or find a used unit. Old car bro, fix it cheap... Unplug comp & put (+) power to the wire if you find no voltage (or neg. if its pcm controlled) before you condemn it over a little clicking...

Old 08-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Thanks Frank. It gets a lot of use (I am in Central Fl). Starting making a ticking noise about a year ago. Ticking follows RPMs. Not too loud, but not factory. Figured it was compressor valves which meant I was just on borrowed time.

When it stopped working, the clutch just wasn't engaged. Going outside soon to see what is up. I will post results for others who might be in similar boat.

Oh, I also pulled apart an older mitsu AC compressor just to see how the clutch is put on (in general). I can see why the compressor/clutch is sold as a unit. The bearing is press fit onto the compressor. Not as easy of a swap as it used to be.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:35 AM

Well, that was easy. Took off just enough of the lower cover to get a hand on the compressor. It is seized up. Must of locked up and fried the clutch.

Confirms the ticking was compressor, not clutch bearings.

So, best route here is new compressor along with new expansion valve, condenser and drier. I will pull everything and flush out what is getting used again (evap and hoses only).

Looks like the expansion valve comes out from the engine side. But, to gain better access I am going to pull the intake off... might as well do spark plugs at the same time (car is at 100k miles).

Not sure if the condenser can be removed without pulling the radiator. I will check this out and report here. If anyone already knows, please tell me!