Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2008 Outlander ES help choosing new tires please

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Default 2008 Outlander ES help choosing new tires please

Hey all,

New here bought my outlander pre-owned back in July. I'm at about 40k total miles and one of my tires went so I am going to replace all 4 with new tires. I live in NYC and winter here stinks!! We can get tons of snow or ice or nothing! I really don't know much about tires but I was looking into getting either the General Grabber AT2 or the Yokohama Geolander ATS.

Now I do all pavement driving no off-road but it looked as if both of those tires work very well in snow, ice and wet pavement. All the reviews I have read said the Generals would be more "aggressive" on pavement and the Yokohama would be more tame and a nicer ride. My limited knowledge leads me to want to understand what "more aggressive" would mean? Would the Generals not ride well on local/highway pavement? or good ole NYC pot hole, rivets and such type pavement? Any reason i'd be better with highway all season vs the off-road all terrain? I'm trying to understand a bit better. Would anyone be able to clarify more for me on the subject? I'd really appreciate it!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM

I replaced the OEM Geolanders with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Touring tires on my 08 ES. I stayed with the original size of 215/70/16. I'm very pleased with the tires on dry pavement, but living in Phoenix I can't speak to how well they perform in snow or ice. The few times it rained here they performed well, but because we rarely get rain I slow way down when the streets are wet.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I replaced the OEM Geolanders with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Touring tires on my 08 ES. I stayed with the original size of 215/70/16. I'm very pleased with the tires on dry pavement, but living in Phoenix I can't speak to how well they perform in snow or ice. The few times it rained here they performed well, but because we rarely get rain I slow way down when the streets are wet.
The BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A are All Season Highway I actually was looking at the BF Goodrich T/A KO tries at first then moved over to the more economical Grabber AT2 or Yokohama Geolander ATS which are off-road All Terrain. I know on the off-road all terrain tires they are more aggressive tread pattern vs All Season Highway tires. I am just trying to understand what is being affected by using the off-road All Terrain tires on dry pavement? I go about 75mph max on the highway i'm not weaving in and out of traffic. It's more of the Snow, Rain, Ice traction and the rough city pavement I am worried about.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 PM

also something else confusing me. According to every where the outlander is suppose to have 215/70R16. On my truck buying it pre-owned the tires are the Goodyear LS P225/55R18. So now I am even more confused and I don't trust any tire salesperson at any store. So I def need some help making a good selection for my truck.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM

This is the Premium wheel size for the outlander.

215/70-16 is the basic size and both are the same rolling radius

Try this link for checking--> Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Old 09-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Claude_A is right, the 215/70/16 were the standard tires that came with the ES. The 18 inch tires came with the higher up models like the XLS.

I suggest you go to discount tires website Discount Tire, Custom Wheels, Truck & Car Rims | Discount Tire and they will show all the sizes that fit your Outlander. Also Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels is a very good source for reviews on tires.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 AM

Go with Michellins or Continentals.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Firstly thank you everyone for all the replies!

Upon more investigation into my own car, even though I do have an ES model I have most of the upgrades of the XLS including the 18" wheel.

So over to tire rack and many other sites comparing tire reviews, specs etc etc etc I cam up with either putting on Michelin MXV4 or the Goodyear Tripletred. Called every tire dealer on a 10 mil radius and all of them are back ordered on the MXV4 4-6 weeks. So since I need tires like yesterday, I am going with the tripletred goodyear. Read a lot of people who loved them on their Outlander. Down the road when I trade my baby in for a new model I can give the MXV4 a try then. Again thanks for all the help!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Went with the Yokahama Avids on our 2008 with the 18" and they rode much better than the Goodyears. Very high rating on tirerack. As a matter of fact I run Yokahama Parada Spec X on my dodge, summer 305/40/22" and winter 265/50/20. In my 30 years of driving I consider Yokahama the best tire I ever purchased for noise, ride, handleing and even winter traction. No I dont work for Yokahama. They are often priced in the mid range or even low/midrange of the $$ spectrum as well.