Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2008 outlander xls lean/ o2 sensor/ misfire/ rough idle/ engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Default 2008 outlander xls lean/ o2 sensor/ misfire/ rough idle/ engine light

P0171 P0174 P2197 P0304
Am experiencing system too lean bank 1 and 2. O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1 biased/stuck. Cylinder 4 misfire.
Have been getting these codes every 30 km drive distance after erasing.
Vehicle was bought used at 200km
Was 1 liter low on oil.
Have experienced hard start, long crank, starts when giving gas.
Rough idle and high longterm fuel trim at idle.
Vehicle drives well but hesitant at idle.
MAF sensor looked clean upon inspection.
No visible cracks in vacuum lines.
When MAF sensor unplugged while running vehicle stalls
When started without MAF sensor vehicke stalls.
Had after market remote starter installed. Some wires tap into cyl 6 fuel injector ( closest to air filter intake. Bottom right corner if looking at it when opening the hood)
Not sure if vacuum leak? Stuck injector? Aftermarket wire tapping into connector of cyl 6 fuel injector?
Large clouds of smoke from exhaust at idle and start up in a lean condition anr ecm dunping fuel.
Fuel economy L/100km have decreased sice oil added.

These are the conditions and really grateful for your help! Not a lot of Mitsu info I can find so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot everyone! Tried to give as much info for symptoms as possible. Never had a Mitsu and am new to this so any help is very much appreciated!
Cheers

Old 12-19-2019, 01:27 PM

P0174 OBD is the only error I am getting but our symptoms are similar when I read general advice on the code it says that it could possibly be the O2 sensor but it is more likely a fuel problem a vacuum leak clogged fuel filter weak fuel pump or a problem with the injector itself that there is not enough fuel being delivered and that bank is raining lean so more air than fuel not sure where the fuel filter is on this car I've owned it since new and it has the original one on it I clear the code and it goes away for about three to four thousand miles it seems pretty random when it chose up but the car will barely run at startup then the check engine light comes on after it's running and warm don't see any problems for quite some time I'm also hearing a noise that sounds like the fuel pump possibly since I don't know where it is or where the filter is or where anything is on this car I don't even know which sensor is bank 2 I have replace the O2 sensor upstream on the front of the motor because I had a front-end collision in 2009 it's a Bosch. Any advice would help has anyone else had this issue other than the poster and if you have what did you do just take it to the stealership?

Old 01-31-2020, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by pwrcat4000

P0174 OBD is the only error I am getting but our symptoms are similar when I read general advice on the code it says that it could possibly be the O2 sensor but it is more likely a fuel problem a vacuum leak clogged fuel filter weak fuel pump or a problem with the injector itself that there is not enough fuel being delivered and that bank is raining lean so more air than fuel not sure where the fuel filter is on this car I've owned it since new and it has the original one on it I clear the code and it goes away for about three to four thousand miles it seems pretty random when it chose up but the car will barely run at startup then the check engine light comes on after it's running and warm don't see any problems for quite some time I'm also hearing a noise that sounds like the fuel pump possibly since I don't know where it is or where the filter is or where anything is on this car I don't even know which sensor is bank 2 I have replace the O2 sensor upstream on the front of the motor because I had a front-end collision in 2009 it's a Bosch. Any advice would help has anyone else had this issue other than the poster and if you have what did you do just take it to the stealership?

Our 07 outlander has done this a couple times starting just a few weeks ago (January 2020) we're at about 175k miles on the odometer.
I sprayed the MAF sensor down with maf cleaner and cleared the codes and it hasn't came back since then.
I have never replaced the spark plugs so I might do that just for good measure, but I don't really think that contributes to this condition. It seems to run fine down the road under all conditions, but its just at idle that it seems to sometimes idle really low.
I suppose I should check for a vacuum leak as that is another possible cause for a lean code, I'll have to spray something around the engine and see if it changes the idle. I listened but I don't hear any leaks.In my case I don't think its fuel related because it seems that would show up more under high loads, not at idle.
I was thinking about changing the 02 sensor but I am not sure which is bank 2, the rear of the car or the front?
Seems odd that I have seen a few people mentioning a bank 2 code, but not as many mentioning bank 1, so something seems to be going on there.
I would think that a MAF issue would show up on both banks.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:03 PM

I should clarify. I have had no misfires noticed or reported, just the low idle and P0174 code.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:20 AM

Broncoman75 I have about the same mileage as you on my 07. Because I know it's me. I'd be willing to bet that bank 2 is probably the hardest one to get too. Probably the one by the firewall where there is absolutely no way in hell you can get your hand there. I had replaced the front O2 upstream sensor because I had a front-end collision in 2009 (ice) so I am betting that bank 2 is on the backside of the motor or the one closest to the driver compartment. I have not had the code for a while, just like yours it's intermittent but the car seems to run/idle, great I have noticed a dip in fuel mileage though.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:10 PM

I remember how I got deaf from the spark plugs. It was a real problem, because the car was new, but something with the factory was originally wrong. Apparently, I bought it with marriage. Therefore, there were similar problems at first. So maybe you should replace the candles with suitable ones. I was looking for a 4.3 chevy, it was difficult to find, by the way. I was told by the masters that it is necessary to choose only for him. Fortunately, the Internet is huge and I found an article about best spark plugs for 4.3 chevy https://carfluidsexpert.com/best-spa...or-4-3-vortec/ . It might be useful for you too, so be sure to look at it and match it specifically to your machine so that there are no compatibility problems later, which they do quite often. I hope it will be useful for you.

Last edited by Sasaki; 08-28-2020 at 03:55 AM.