Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Brakes Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Default 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Brakes Noise

Hey Guys,

I have a 2009 Mitsu Outlander ES 4WD (10,000 miles) and recently I have noticed that during slow speed braking there is a loud creaking noise when brake pedal is half depressed. Does anyone have similar problem?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM

I have similar noise. For example, when I brake from 80 Km/H to 0 Km/H, the noise doesn't come till I reach about 5-10 Km/H. It only comes in when the car is moving very slowly. Or when is stop and go traffic, when stopping slowly, it make the noise.

However, I have a 2007 Outlander, with over 50,000 Kms on it.
For me, I think is my brake pads are almost wearing out. There is a metal piece on the brake pad where when it is almost wearing, it will hit the metal piece to the rotor when braking, meaning is time for a pad change.

I don't think for you, having only 10,000 miles on your 09' needing for a brake pad change. If you do, you must abuse your car a lot with lots of hard hard braking. You can check your brake pads for wear, or your rotor for wear as well. Or you can bring it to the dealer to complain, which will cost you some $$...

Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM
tcp
Default Winter

do they gravel the roads where you live? I've had a small rock embed itself between the rotor and pad. It would make that scratching sound on a medium press of the brakes. Hard braking or very light braking wouldn't make any noise. Can you isolate it to one brake or all of them?

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Hey Guys,

I have a 2009 Mitsu Outlander ES 4WD (10,000 miles) and recently I have noticed that during slow speed braking there is a loud creaking noise when brake pedal is half depressed. Does anyone have similar problem?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
do they gravel the roads where you live? I've had a small rock embed itself between the rotor and pad. It would make that scratching sound on a medium press of the brakes. Hard braking or very light braking wouldn't make any noise. Can you isolate it to one brake or all of them?
Thanks for all the replies. Sound seems to be coming from the front but one thing that I have noticed is that it gets loud only during slow speed braking (car not fully warmed up), like lets say I am coming out of my driveway and slightly half press the pedal, also, the sound seems to be the loudest when it heavily rained or temperature outside got below 32F so it looks like it is kind of weather related. The best that I can describe the sound is creaking. After the car fully warms up the sound seems to disappear. I don't think I abuse the car, I drive all my cars about the same and only this one has this problem.

EDIT: And no, there is no gravel roads around here, although roads here in NJ are not of the best quality.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 12-28-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Lots of cars do that when the brakes are cold. I've driven a $60k luxury car which does the same thing. You can fix it by getting performance brake pads (that make lots of brake dust) or change the rotors to better ones.
I have noticed this on my 08 after washing it or after driving in the rain/letting the brakes cool off. However, it is perfectly normal mechanically.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM

This sounds like simple rust build up on the rotors overnight. Most low cost rotors do that. Pretty normal. As long as the sound goes away after a few slow downs and is only when the car hasn't been run for a while.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 PM

Hrm...can't seem to edit my post (Chromium 4.0.283.0 (35283) Linux).

By low cost I really meant non-performance.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by volksman
This sounds like simple rust build up on the rotors overnight. Most low cost rotors do that. Pretty normal. As long as the sound goes away after a few slow downs and is only when the car hasn't been run for a while.
Maybe this noise wouldn't bother me that much if it wasn't for a fact that I have had 3 cars before my Outie and none of them made such loud noises during cold start (pedal about half depressed) braking :s

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Have exact same problem started after 10000 mls ..becomes really annoying in slow speed traffic ..took it to garage they blagged their way around it saying that the disks would have to be changed at my cost to eliminate fault and that brakes were not under warranty etc etc car due in for 37500 mls service and will get pads replaced may cure temporarily but have very very little faith id say its a design fault that they cant afford to admit imagine cost of recall.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Default Possible Solve to brake creaking at slow speeds.

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Hey Guys,

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an 2007 Mitsu Outlander ES 4WD with 37000 miles and had the exact same issue. Had the rear brakes done not that long ago. I assumed it was related to the brake job they did and took it back to the dealer. After about an hour they took me back and showed me the car up in the air. They said the bushings for the rear differential were shot (at 37000 miles???) and that this was causing my rear creaking when I was braking at slow speeds. They said that the torque was most severe when slow braking and that was the cause. Showed me it moving when it was up in the air and said it should be tight/stable. They will order the part and try to get me in ASAP. (don't want the whole differential to get wrecked $$$) They aren't sure yet if they can order just the bushings or need to do the entire assembly. He told me whatever the repair it should be covered by the warranty. I got the car used 5000 miles ago. I also had the blower motor go (again another warranty repair). Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come postwarranty...good luck.

Quick Reply: 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Brakes Noise