Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   2009 Mitsubishi Outlander listed in: "Today’s 10 Most Underrated Cars" (MSN Autos) (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/2009-mitsubishi-outlander-listed-today%92s-10-most-underrated-cars-msn-autos-33285/)

patpipp 07-27-2009 09:25 PM

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander listed in: "Today’s 10 Most Underrated Cars" (MSN Autos)

Today’s 10 Most Underrated Cars

Mitsubishi Outlander
Mitsubishi has been a disappointment in recent years, with vehicles that were not in the same class as its competitors. But the company’s smallest crossover utility vehicle, the Outlander, is no flunky. It has a lot to offer, including sharp looks, available 3-row seating (albeit only with the less fuel-efficient V6 engine) and better-than-average reliability, according to Consumer Reports. In an era of tech overload, the instrument panel and controls are pleasantly straightforward and intuitive; however, they feel a little chintzy to the touch. The base 4-cylinder engine gets decent gas mileage (20 mpg city/25 mpg highway), but it’s paired with a continuously variable transmission, which auto enthusiasts love to hate. In actual use, though, this transmission works well thanks to some deft software programming that mimics the gear ratios.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slide...ntid=1080024#6

1) 2010 Ford Fusion
2) 2009 Hyundai Azera
3) 2009 Kia Rondo
4) 2009 Mazda Mazda5
5) 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander
6) 2009 Nissan Versa
7) 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
8) 2009 Scion tC
9) 2009 Volvo C30
10) 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit

Nice! I think it's fitting the Outlander makes it onto a list like this because I've always felt it's one of those vehicles that gets over looked :)

azjake 07-28-2009 09:27 AM

The article brings up a point about the layout of the interior that I've always liked. The controls in the outtie are easy to use, and within easy reach of the driver. To me, thats more important than the material that the controls are made of.

tdford 07-28-2009 01:14 PM

The 3.0 V6 gets 20mpg city 25mpg highway... mine does. The 4 cyl should get better.

klas 07-28-2009 08:06 PM

I agree that it's underrated, at the same time it's great because it makes it special, unlike RAV4, CRV etc...

As far as mileage I think we already established that it's NOT your Outlander, it's YOUR driving that could get these numbers. They are merely stating the EPA rating.

rip14 07-28-2009 08:36 PM

It says
"available 3-row seating (albeit only with the less fuel-efficient V6 engine)"

Not true. I have the 2.4, and it has the 3rd row seats.

bender031177 07-29-2009 07:46 PM

The Outlander just made the list of finalists for World Car of the Year. It is based out of the UK but includes judges from Canada and the USA.

klas 07-30-2009 05:14 PM

yes, it did... so are 31 other cars and seeing Audi Q5 there (ironically on the 1st place), I think it doesn't stand a chance :)

http://www.wcoty.com/vehicles/?year=2010&cat=1

azjake 07-30-2009 08:01 PM

Still just to be picked as 1 of the 31 out of all the possible vehicles is an honor. The website said the 31 finalists were picked by automotive journalist from around the world so apparently the Outlander must be making a very favorable impression with them.

96Eclipsed 07-31-2009 01:06 AM

I never understood how the new subaru forrester, which looks like a total rip off of the Outlander could get car of the year awards yet offer nothing special over a more feature laden Outlander..

blitzkrieg79 07-31-2009 12:52 PM

@96Eclipsed, it's all about brand perception/recognition, people here in USA think that Subaru makes the best affordable/most reliable AWD cars and they swear by it. Reality is that Subaru has nothing on Mitsubishi when it comes to transmission or AWD technology, Subaru has no answer for Mitsubishis Twin Clutch Transmissions or the SAWC system which is much more superior to any AWD system that Subaru can throw at it. The Outlanders AWD system is not any worse than the new Foresters. Reliability wise, according to Consumer Reports Mitsubishi Outlander is at the top of its class but the whole Mitsubishi name is rather tarnished in USA.

So anyway, I still think Mitsubishi Outlander is one of the best kept secrets here in USA and the Outlander has been chosen as one of the finalists for Word Car Of The Year, thats pretty good considering that the 2nd generation Outlander came out in late 2006 (Japan) and beat a lot of newer (you would guess more superior) models. And I also think that Outlander is a better car than the Forester (who I also think looks like a total Outlander more boring ripoff). After all said and done (with all the dealership ACTUAL price haggling), I can get a better car for far less money

In Europe Mitsubishi has a much better brand recognition and there Outlander has won numerous awards. Afterall, Europe is where the car has been invented and it actually take a lot of time/energy/strict tests/money to get a driving license.

Dr. Zoidberg 08-02-2009 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79 (Post 248017)
The Outlanders AWD system is not any worse than the new Foresters.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Outlander, but 2009 and older models have a lesser AWD system than the Subie. I feel duped by Mitsu here b/c of the 'selectable' AWD - 2wd for economy, 4wd auto for 'just in case' during inclement weather, and 4wd lock for full-time awd, like Subaru, right? Wrong. 4wd 'lock' is not lock but only increases 50% more torque to the rear wheels when COMPARED to 4wd auto - it doesn't actually provide full-time awd, like Subaru. Between the 2, Subaru has the better/more predictable driving system for poor traction conditions (all other things, such as tires and driver skill, being equal).

I hear though this may change in 2010, at least AWC will be available. And it will get a LSD, where for the 2007-2009 model the designers claimed one wouldn't be required. I still love my Outie though!

klas 08-03-2009 12:17 AM

2010 Forester, might be worth considering, not only for AWD, but they finally include navi and bluetooth, although no HIDs.

bender031177 08-03-2009 09:10 AM

thats actually wrong. 4 wheel lock gives the outlander a 50/50 torque split from from to back all the time. 4WD only puts power to the rear when the front wheels spin and 2WD is only to the rear wheels.
According to a technical trainer with Mitsubishi Canada, who is an automotive engineer and used to work with Ford developing drive trains, Mitsubishi's All Wheel Control system is far more advanced than Subi's system. I would like a LSD in it though.

Dr. Zoidberg 08-03-2009 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bender031177 (Post 248097)
thats actually wrong. 4 wheel lock gives the outlander a 50/50 torque split from from to back all the time. 4WD only puts power to the rear when the front wheels spin and 2WD is only to the rear wheels.

I was surprised about the truth behind the Outies AWD system as well and eventually found this from Mitsu's own press release in 2006 re: the 2007 Outlander:

"When "4WD Auto" mode is selected, the Outlander 4WD system always sends some power to the rear wheels, automatically increasing the amount under full-throttle acceleration. The coupling transfers up to 40 percent of available torque to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration, and this is reduced to 25 percent over 40 mph. At steady cruising speeds, up to 15 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels. At low speeds through tight corners, coupling torque is reduced, providing a smoother feel through the corner.

"For driving in particularly challenging conditions, such as snow, the driver can select "4WD Lock" mode. In Lock mode, the system still apportions front and rear torque automatically, but enables greater power transfer to the rear wheels. For example, when accelerating on an upgrade, the coupling will transfer more torque to the rear wheels immediately, helping to ensure that all four wheels get traction. In contrast, an automatic on-demand part-time system would allow front wheel slippage before transferring power, which could hamper acceleration.

"In dry conditions, 4WD Lock mode places priority on performance. More torque is directed to the rear wheels than in 4WD Auto mode to provide greater power off the line, better control when accelerating on snowy or loose surfaces, and enhanced stability at high speeds. Rear wheel torque transfer is increased by 50 percent over the amounts in 4WD Auto mode - meaning up to 60 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration on dry pavement. When in 4WD Lock mode, torque at the rear wheels is reduced by a smaller degree through corners than with 4WD Auto mode."

As you can see, 4wd 'lock' does not lock the torque split 50:50, although I did get the numbers wrong, it sends upto 60%, not 50%, more torque to rear when compared to 4wd auto. Rather 4wd 'lock' is really 4wd (auto) enhanced. I'd still take it over a 'real-time' system from others such as Honda though.

WRT Mitsu's AWC being superior, that is debatable and depends on the conditions, which is why I did not state the Subie is 'superior', but that it offers more predictable driving during low traction conditions - rather than waiting for slip and transfer, power is already at the rear wheels. This is why a 'full-time awd' is generally considered to offer better traction than 'real or part time awd', and even in 4wd 'lock', the Outie is considered to be in the latter with the Subie in the former. The advantage of the latter though is improved fuel consumption throughout the year, especially when your real risk levels may not ever warrant 'full-time awd'.

Ask the tech writer from Mitsu Canada though about how the 4wd 'lock' in the 2G Outtie works, in case I may have mis-interpreted their initial press release. If it does actually lock torque to front and rear, I would be very very happy.

Curiously though you will note that many people, including journalists assume that the 'lock' is 50:50, whereas there are no technical specifications whatsoever that state the 50:50 split. Google it, look it up in your manual, only 3rd party reviews ever refer to 50:50 split. Which is why I say Mitsu duped all us into this 'lock' label nonsense.

Dr. Zoidberg 08-03-2009 09:44 AM

And the same press release had this to say about not requiring a LSD:
"The traction control portion of ASTC provides a "virtual" limited-slip differential effect by helping to prevent wheel spin during start up and acceleration in slippery conditions. Even if the driver has not selected 4WD Auto or 4WD Lock modes on a 4WD Outlander model, front wheel spin can be controlled under a variety of conditions. Since a mechanical limited-slip differential is not required, weight is reduced."

Guess for 2010 they changed their mind about a LSD not being required, unless its going to be another virtual electronic LSD.

blitzkrieg79 08-03-2009 07:43 PM

I never said that the current AWD system found in Outlanders is superior to the Forester AWD, I just said it's not any worse, each has its advantages and disadvantages but no one can really say that one if vastly superior over another. BUT Mitsubishis SAWC (found in Evo X and looks like it will be available in more Mitsu products) is by far more advanced than anything Subaru (or actually 99% of all other manufacturers) currently have.

Dr. Zoidberg 08-03-2009 08:20 PM

Sorry for the confusion Blitz - I was really responding to the post about the tech writer for Mitsu Canada stating their AWC is far more advanced to anything Subie has.

In terms of poor traction conditions (i.e. ice and snow) though, full-time awd like what subie offers provides better traction, all things being equal such as tires and throttle input, than real-time awd like in the 2G Outtie. I only raise this point b/c most folks considering a CUV in the great white north get the awd primarily for snow conditions, even though ironically most will then not bother getting winter tires.

Knowing this though I still prefer the Outtie over the Forester - says how much further ahead the Mitsu scored over a direct competitor. In fact, from my own subjective evaluation (and getting closer to the OP topic), the Forester only scored better in the AWD department and interior quality. Too many other things lacking in the Forrester when compared to the Mitsu. If fuel consumption was a higher priority for me the fact that the Forrester offers a stick-shift is appealing as I prefer manual. But I wanted more power and wasn't willing to pay extra MSRP and premium gas for the XT, plus losing 2(!) gears.

bender031177 08-04-2009 06:34 AM

There were some technical I wasn't even aware of. Next time the trainer comes down from Ontario I will certainly ask more detailed information on the 4WD system.

bleacherbum 08-04-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by bender031177 (Post 248097)
According to a technical trainer with Mitsubishi Canada, who is an automotive engineer and used to work with Ford developing drive trains, Mitsubishi's All Wheel Control system is far more advanced than Subi's system. I would like a LSD in it though.

i though 2WD was to the front only.....

Dr. Zoidberg 08-04-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by bleacherbum (Post 248170)
i though 2WD was to the front only.....

yes that is correct. the image on the display also shows this when you move the selector into 2wd.

tcp 08-04-2009 09:04 PM

subarus

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg (Post 248133)

In terms of poor traction conditions (i.e. ice and snow) though, full-time awd like what subie offers provides better traction, all things being equal such as tires and throttle input, than real-time awd like in the 2G Outtie.

This only holds true on manual transmission subarus, the automatic has a system that is functionally the same as most other AWD systems.

Dr. Zoidberg 08-05-2009 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by tcp (Post 248209)
This only holds true on manual transmission subarus, the automatic has a system that is functionally the same as most other AWD systems.

Good point - one of the reasons why I prefer a std subie.

Some of the subie models and years have different torque distributions. I honestly forget what they are but they are not far off from the manuals, in most cases (I think an auto 04 impreza is 60f:40r and a std impreza is 55f:45r, or was the torque movement 10% between f:r in the auto and 5% in the std?). I think I read somwhere sometime though one of the models starting with a 90f:10r distribution. In any event there is more torque distribution to the rear wheels in most auto transmission subies than most other real-time awd systems.

But the std subies are really the ones that optimize traction in poor conditions.