Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander listed in: "Today’s 10 Most Underrated Cars" (MSN Autos)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Default 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander listed in: "Today’s 10 Most Underrated Cars" (MSN Autos)

Today’s 10 Most Underrated Cars

Mitsubishi Outlander
Mitsubishi has been a disappointment in recent years, with vehicles that were not in the same class as its competitors. But the company’s smallest crossover utility vehicle, the Outlander, is no flunky. It has a lot to offer, including sharp looks, available 3-row seating (albeit only with the less fuel-efficient V6 engine) and better-than-average reliability, according to Consumer Reports. In an era of tech overload, the instrument panel and controls are pleasantly straightforward and intuitive; however, they feel a little chintzy to the touch. The base 4-cylinder engine gets decent gas mileage (20 mpg city/25 mpg highway), but it’s paired with a continuously variable transmission, which auto enthusiasts love to hate. In actual use, though, this transmission works well thanks to some deft software programming that mimics the gear ratios.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slide...ntid=1080024#6

1) 2010 Ford Fusion
2) 2009 Hyundai Azera
3) 2009 Kia Rondo
4) 2009 Mazda Mazda5
5) 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander
6) 2009 Nissan Versa
7) 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
8) 2009 Scion tC
9) 2009 Volvo C30
10) 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit

Nice! I think it's fitting the Outlander makes it onto a list like this because I've always felt it's one of those vehicles that gets over looked

Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 AM

The article brings up a point about the layout of the interior that I've always liked. The controls in the outtie are easy to use, and within easy reach of the driver. To me, thats more important than the material that the controls are made of.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 PM

The 3.0 V6 gets 20mpg city 25mpg highway... mine does. The 4 cyl should get better.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM

I agree that it's underrated, at the same time it's great because it makes it special, unlike RAV4, CRV etc...

As far as mileage I think we already established that it's NOT your Outlander, it's YOUR driving that could get these numbers. They are merely stating the EPA rating.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 PM

It says
"available 3-row seating (albeit only with the less fuel-efficient V6 engine)"

Not true. I have the 2.4, and it has the 3rd row seats.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 PM

The Outlander just made the list of finalists for World Car of the Year. It is based out of the UK but includes judges from Canada and the USA.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM

yes, it did... so are 31 other cars and seeing Audi Q5 there (ironically on the 1st place), I think it doesn't stand a chance

http://www.wcoty.com/vehicles/?year=2010&cat=1

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Still just to be picked as 1 of the 31 out of all the possible vehicles is an honor. The website said the 31 finalists were picked by automotive journalist from around the world so apparently the Outlander must be making a very favorable impression with them.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 AM

I never understood how the new subaru forrester, which looks like a total rip off of the Outlander could get car of the year awards yet offer nothing special over a more feature laden Outlander..

Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM

@96Eclipsed, it's all about brand perception/recognition, people here in USA think that Subaru makes the best affordable/most reliable AWD cars and they swear by it. Reality is that Subaru has nothing on Mitsubishi when it comes to transmission or AWD technology, Subaru has no answer for Mitsubishis Twin Clutch Transmissions or the SAWC system which is much more superior to any AWD system that Subaru can throw at it. The Outlanders AWD system is not any worse than the new Foresters. Reliability wise, according to Consumer Reports Mitsubishi Outlander is at the top of its class but the whole Mitsubishi name is rather tarnished in USA.

So anyway, I still think Mitsubishi Outlander is one of the best kept secrets here in USA and the Outlander has been chosen as one of the finalists for Word Car Of The Year, thats pretty good considering that the 2nd generation Outlander came out in late 2006 (Japan) and beat a lot of newer (you would guess more superior) models. And I also think that Outlander is a better car than the Forester (who I also think looks like a total Outlander more boring ripoff). After all said and done (with all the dealership ACTUAL price haggling), I can get a better car for far less money

In Europe Mitsubishi has a much better brand recognition and there Outlander has won numerous awards. Afterall, Europe is where the car has been invented and it actually take a lot of time/energy/strict tests/money to get a driving license.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 07-31-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander listed in: "Today’s 10 Most Underrated Cars" (MSN Autos)