Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Outlander bike rack recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Default 2009 Outlander bike rack recommendation?

Hello,

Quick question, what bike racks (roof mounted/tailgate mounted) do you guys have/recommend for a 2009 Outlander? Thanks.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Default Please HELP !!!

If anyone has any information regarding bike racks ESPECIALLY tailgate mounted devices can you please respond to this post.
I need this info as well as blitzkrieg79 !!!

According to one bike rack manufacturer I called in the U.S. (Saris) it seems they feel the plastic/ABS rear spoiler cannot support the weight of the bikes and do not recommend using their products. I checked the integrity of the spoiler myself and it looks as if it's only held on by 2 bolts and seems to sort of float on the tailgate. So I think their claims might be correct.

All responses are welcome.
Thanks, Russ

Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 PM

I am assuming you do not have a hitch on the Outie?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:16 PM

If you want a trailer mounted rack, install a class III hitch and get either a Thule Revolver or Yakima SwingDaddy - both will let you swing the rack out of the way with bikes on to access the cargo. The Thule sits lower and might be a problem if you don't have a regular bike frame.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM

No.... no hitch mount unfortunately and it's not worth spending the approximate 200.00 dollars plus installation plus the price of a good rack !!!
For that money I'll just take off the front wheel and put the bike in the back of the Outie !!!
A rack mount is what I'm after !!!
Thanx for your replies though.
Still interested in responses if anyone has info.
Russ

Last edited by 05SUBTECINT; 08-04-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM

yeah its expensive all right. The beauty of it though is that you can still carry a full cargo load, save the roof for additional cargo and carry your bikes. It is ideal for family trips rather than individual ones (although works excellent for that too!).

But...the cost of a hitch is the equivalent as the cost of crossbars, so that is a wash. The only extra is the installation of the hitch if you don't want to install it yourself. You can also get much cheaper trailer hitch racks than above for the same price of a roof mount. If you are in Canada MEC.ca also has a much cheaper trailer hitch that allows you to access the hatch with a full rack. Plus if you are doing highway driving you may want to invest in a wind deflector for your front crossbar to reduce the wind noise.

At the end of the day a roof mount will be a little cheaper but the trailer hitch mount is a lot more convenient, especially if you don't have side steps IMO.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Got a hitch mounted rack for my Acura MDX and I was disappointed with it. It is a three-bike brand called from a brand called Allen. I just can't get it to stop having a little "play" - next time Thule or Yakima. I do recommend etrailer.com for best prices.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by krafty81
Got a hitch mounted rack for my Acura MDX and I was disappointed with it. It is a three-bike brand called from a brand called Allen. I just can't get it to stop having a little "play" - next time Thule or Yakima. I do recommend etrailer.com for best prices.
The play is normal but they actually do make wedges to eliminate it if you feel the need. To me, its just something else to misplace

Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM

for how many bikes?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Bike haul-ability is one of my favorite features of my Outlander. I run a Thule T2 on my factory hitch - it is a great rack, holds the bikes wheels and the rack is super solid. With a bike on the rearmost part of the rack I have clearance to open the liftgate AND drop the tailgate - Nice! On the inside of the vehicle, I've got two Yakima fork mounts screwed to a length of 1x4 - I put the seats up and I can get two road bikes (w/ front wheels removed) in there standing up. Four-bike capacity (but only driver and passenger get to ride).

If you are seriously into cycling do yourself a favor and get the hitch-mounted setup. IMO a rear setup that connects to the spoiler is hack, and something you will only do if you don't like your bikes and wouldn't mind if they fall off on the highway. The spoiler is indeed flimsy.

If you are not seriously into cycling, just put the bike in the back or use the fork mount like I explained above, and live with it.

Roof racks = wind noise and an mpg hit on the highway in my experience, plus it would be kinda high up there on the Outlander, plus if you have an MTB your roof will get dirty . . .
(Maybe it sounds like I've been down the roof rack road with other vehicles ?)

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2009 Outlander bike rack recommendation?