Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Outlander brakes - what and where to buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Default 2009 Outlander brakes - what and where to buy ?

I have to change both my front and rear breaks (brake pads and rotors) for my 2009 Outlander XLS V6. The dealer asked $117CAD for a set of brake pads and $99CAD for a set of rotors. The total part price would be $432CAD before taxes and all these are for original Mitsubishi parts.

The question I have though: Is there anything else better on the market that lasts longer and maybe gives better braking performance? I wouldn't mind spending a bit more, in the end I save some money by changing the brakes less often. If there is, what should I buy and from who? I would prefer a Canadian shop since buying from the USA might add some extra brokerage fees, but depending on the price, I might order from the USA too.

Thank you.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM

just my opinion, but i think original from the dealer or good quality part from auto part store will do same job (braking) and will last about the same. Dont know what stores you have in Canada, in US i would go with this.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...SK4_0328952771

Old 05-30-2015, 09:44 PM

Thank you. I found THIS kit, sold from Canada. It is the Max ELITE xDS Series Combo Brake Kit, Cross-Drilled and Slotted Disc Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pads. It is 2/3 of the original Mitsubishi parts and they seem better. Should I go for it or not ?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:41 PM
Default Brakemotive76

I have used BrakeMotive for years and have never had an issue. I personally have used them and these exact same brands on Outlanders, Lancers, Galants, Gran Prix, Durangos, Trail Blazers, and more.

Here is the link to an eBay sale but if you don't have eBay, call them directly and they will sell on-line as well.

Best price and products for the money.

Front Rear 4 Performance Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors 8 Ceramic Pads M700209 | eBay

Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 PM

IMO, Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads can be had from many parts stores. there are rebates to make it cheaper to buy.

As far as rotors, if there are no excessive grooves or warping....no need to replace. I'm at 160k miles on mine. I am still running the OEM rotors with no issue. I'm on my 2nd set of Wagners.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
IMO, Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads can be had from many parts stores. there are rebates to make it cheaper to buy.

As far as rotors, if there are no excessive grooves or warping....no need to replace. I'm at 160k miles on mine. I am still running the OEM rotors with no issue. I'm on my 2nd set of Wagners.
Yes, I just had my brakes done, too. Two indie auto places wanted to replace my pads and rotors, but I had the work done at the dealer, whose rates were surprisingly a bit less and they also said my rotors were fine. They are original OEM rotors at 105k miles, so they must be good.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:48 PM

Is it possible to replace rear vented rotors with solid ones? Or will I need to change calipers as well?

Last edited by AndreiK; 05-05-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by AndreiK
Is it possible to replace rear vented rotors with solid ones? Or will I need to change calipers as well?
Yes, one has nothing to do with other. The right sized rotor is interchangeable with other style (but not size) rotors. The slotted/drilled rotors are all the rage for appearance so you would essentially be downgrading to a stock style rotor.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by theSaint024
Yes, one has nothing to do with other. The right sized rotor is interchangeable with other style (but not size) rotors. The slotted/drilled rotors are all the rage for appearance so you would essentially be downgrading to a stock style rotor.
Thanks! I would like to correct myself: Currently vented solid rotors are installed in the rear. I ordered replacement rotors online and got not vented solid ones. My concern is that not vented are thinner vs the vented (too discs with space between them).

Last edited by AndreiK; 05-05-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by AndreiK
Thanks! I would like to correct myself: Currently vented solid rotors are installed in the rear. I ordered replacement rotors online and got not vented solid ones. My concern is that not vented are thinner vs the vented (too discs with space between them).
From my past research, drilled rotors are purely aesthetic these days. Slotted do have some benefits though. Not sure which "vented" refers to. Either way, the rotors are designed to be interchangeable between manufacturers, as well as with pads, so they would be a standard thickness regardless of which rotors you go with.

Quick Reply: 2009 Outlander brakes - what and where to buy ?