Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander - What type of fuel to use

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Default 2010 Outlander - What type of fuel to use

Manufacturer recommend we use regular or super. I have used both so far and noticed we use 11.6L/100km (regular) and 9.5L/100km (Med grade).

Anybody experiencing this? What do you recommend? What are your thoughts?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Using regular in cars that recommend premium usually results in more fuel consumption and less power. I would think both would cost you the same in the end, and that premium ensures you have all the power the engine can produce available.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Default Regular versus Super

Regular gas has (up to) 10% ethanol. Premium has 0% ethanol. Ethanol has a lower calorific value than gasoline. Just from the energy available, premium should give you 3% better mileage. Of course it cost about 11% more.
Premium burns more slowly than regular alowing the timing to advance, based on imput from the knock sensors. In the old days, we did this manually and called it "power timing". The knock sensors were our ears. So if you are using the power, premium will give you better economy. If you are not using the power, it's proabably a wash.
I think temperature has more to do with it. In the summer when the air is warmer, knock will occur sooner then in the winter with cool air.
I have yet to test my Outlander but I know I will runs something totally unscientific one day.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by MadMike1953
Just from the energy available, premium should give you 3% better mileage. Of course it cost about 11% more.
Bang on - for cars that RECOMMEND premium you may get better mileage with premium but it typically does not offset it's higher cost. Different story though for those that REQUIRE premium.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Default 2010 Outlander - What type of fuel to use

Thanks all for your comment. I might stick with regular in the city and fill it up with premium when hitting the highway (Ottawa-Québec for example).

Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Default Fuel in 2010 Outlander

We asked our dealer about this one. His advice was to use premium in the Summer when the weather was going to be warmer, and this could be used once and awhile, not necessarily every fill up. In the winter, he said that regular fuel is ok as the advantage of having the premium fuel is reduced with colder weather.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM

Yup i might do the same thing, premium on hi way

Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 AM

I also have a question
let say i have half of regular in my car, and put some suprem, is that better i way till im almost empty to put suprem ?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 AM

Yes, filling up an empty tank is better since the gas is pure. Combining regular and supreme is averaging it out to super level.
The 6B31 V6 engine has dual knock sensors, so you don't have to worry about even any chance of damage using regular.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM

I drive 15,000 to 18,000 miles a year mainly highway, I sold my 2009 Lancer GTS to get my 2010 Outlander XLS with the V6. Premium fuel is recommended for the V6 and usually when a manufacturer suggests that fuel it is for a reason as stated by previous posts for specific reasons. So for 18,000 miles a year at an average of 22 (I am averaging about 25mpg with my Outlander XLS with a K and N air filter) mile per gallon with premium fuel usually costing $.20 more a gallon that is only $163.36 dollars more a year to run premium. If that is not affordable than you probably shouldn't be buying a 6 cylinder car anyway and opt for the 4 cylinder car and not a crossover because the milage on the lancer I was getting between 27 and 30 miles to the gallon with a K and N air filter. Regular unleaded is all I used in my Lancer for the 2 years of owning it and it was great. You can tell when the recommended fuel is not used, I tried that in my Altima 3.5SE and you can tell the difference in power and fuel consumption, the engines are optimized to run on the recommended fuel type.

Car recommend regular, running premium=waste of money
Car recommend premium, running regular=inefficient power and probable long term affects on the performance of the engine

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander - What type of fuel to use