Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   2010 Outlander XLS OEM fog lamps (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/2010-outlander-xls-oem-fog-lamps-38428/)

Outlaander 05-27-2014 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ckmecha (Post 302227)
Had mine destroyed by a rock within 2k miles of new. I fished out the rock put a new bulb in and let it go.

On ebay and several other places around the web you can find a replacemnt set with LEDs for under $100. It seems its the same light for several Mitsubishi, Peugeot, and Citroen cars so there are more sources available.

36W high power led car running fog light with cover for PEUGEOT FOCUS FIESTA RENAULT MEGANE SUZUKI CITROEN MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER -in Lights & Indicators from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Thanks for the great find.

Did you install one or more?

The only thing I don't like is the following:
"3. The glass surface is made of PC with high light transmission."

If the lens is glass, then it can break two weeks after installation, too. But because this is LED and LEDs run very cool, I see no reason why one or more layers of 3M film could not be adhered to the lens. Of course this won't prevent breakage from a large rock, but anything of a size that is normally on a road is not going to break it.

ahcash 05-27-2014 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckmecha (Post 302227)
Had mine destroyed by a rock within 2k miles of new. I fished out the rock put a new bulb in and let it go.

On ebay and several other places around the web you can find a replacemnt set with LEDs for under $100. It seems its the same light for several Mitsubishi, Peugeot, and Citroen cars so there are more sources available.

36W high power led car running fog light with cover for PEUGEOT FOCUS FIESTA RENAULT MEGANE SUZUKI CITROEN MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER -in Lights & Indicators from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Thank you all for the suggestion and nice find there ckmecha! All along I thought the cover was made out of glass. Stupid me, I tried to unscrew it from the front without reading the manual. It screw in front is actually for the position of the light, doh!.. I will take it out over the weekend and see if it matches the pictures.

ckmecha 05-27-2014 04:46 PM

I have not pulled the trigger yet, just havent had the time. That is the same shape though. Note that there is no level adjustment on the LED one though. Looking at part diagrams, it appears there are actually two different arrangements for fog lights. 2009 and prior have this, with a separate bracket for the adjustment, but with similar mounting pattern:

http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/me.../6/6251035.gif

2010 and up have a one piece arrangement with built in leveling

http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/me.../6/6252030.gif

Heres one with a leveling adjustment, though not front facing:
Ford Fiesta Mk6/fiesta Mk7/focus Mk2/fusion/transit Mk7/transit Connect Inc Toureno Led Fog Lights Lamps - Buy Led Fog Lights Lamps,Fog Lights,Led Fog Lamps Product on Alibaba.com

Look at the list of models it fits, and take a look at this one for Ford and Subaru cars.
18W High Power 6 LED Fog Light Lamps w LED Halo Rings Fit Ford Lincoln Suburu | eBay

Im convinced its a standard unit design used on MANY cars. Perhaps designed by one of the major lighting manufactuers and licensed to many car manufacturers

ckmecha 05-27-2014 04:53 PM

Just made the leap and ordered a set. The ebay one ships from the US and has a decent return policy.

Ill let everyone know when I get it in to measure.

Outlaander 05-28-2014 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckmecha (Post 302245)
Just made the leap and ordered a set. The ebay one ships from the US and has a decent return policy.

I'll be watching with interest. Thanks.

I'm particularly interested to know if the lens is made from glass or plastic.

ahcash 05-28-2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ckmecha (Post 302245)

Awesome.. Thanks for that.. please post some pictures if you can!

RoGuE_StreaK 05-28-2014 07:50 PM

From an insurance etc point of view I'd be wary of whether they have the correct approvals. Don't know of (haven't looked) any fog lights per se, but Narva make a standards-compliant DRL that fits, which you can find for about $170 shipped; part 71940
L.E.D Daytime Running Lamps - Products - Narva

Speaking of which, I noticed in one of the manuals (service maybe?) that there were two types of fog lights of the 2010 type, one with a side-entering bulb for built-in DRL; does anyone have this fitted? I have fogs but no DRL, and DRL is more desirable for me (not mandatory here, so can switch on and off when desired I believe). HIDs aren't the best for conspicuity in daylight (though my Outander is white...)

inandout 05-29-2014 04:55 AM

valeo (made in europe) makes a replacement for $40/unit
housing is similar to ur alibaba link

ckmecha 06-01-2014 02:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So, I my fog lights were delivered Friday which was extremely quick considering they came from CA and I live in GA. I finally got the time to mount them up today and this is what Ive found.

-I expected a plastic housing, but it is black painted metal. Probably aluminum.
-The lens is indeed glass. I guess time will tell how durable it is compared to the OEM.
-They have the exact pattern I expected, and mount right up on my 2013 Outlander.
-The connector is the same as the stock H11 bulb, except it doesnt have the indexing tab so you can plug it in the wrong way. It wont damage the light, it just wont work and you will have to switch it. See pictures to get a clearer view of what Im talking about.
-Theyre really bright. Check out the pictures.
-I havent wired in the halo DRL thats built in, but I did test them with a 12v power supply I had lying around and they are pretty bright and look decent. The DRL was secondary to the fog lights for me but this seems like a really good option for people looking for DRLs.

Overall, I think a great purchase. But, if you dont want to buy aftermarket LED units, this means you can go to your local junk yard and pick up OEM fog lights off one of the millions of Fords that have them. A decent H11 bulb itself costs at least $10/each, so over the life of the car you might save some cash buying the LEDs. I went through about 3 fog light bulbs over my 2 years of ownership so far.

The pictures with the lights on in the dark, the drivers side is the LED lights and the passenger is stock with an H11 bulb. Let me know what you guys think.

ckmecha 06-01-2014 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And there are no approval stamps anywhere on the lens. Attached is a picture with the bezel on the new lights installed. Around here, there is no required inspection besides emissions. I think it would be hard for a police officer to tell the difference unless you blinded them.