Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 PM

I have about 300 miles on my SE AWC haven't filled it up yet but I'll keep an eye on the mileage. Not sure when I'm going to do the first oil change but I already picked up 0W-20 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy. I wonder if it works. I will also be using a Purolator PureOne Filter.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 PM

I have only 160 miles on my Outlander Sport ES 2WD but the fuel economy figures the computer (MID) is showing have been encouraging. The dealer didn't completely fill the tank the day I took delivery so first thing I did was go fill up and reset the AVG MPG in the MID.

The next day I drove my usual commute to work, about 42 miles one way on freeways with a running speed of around 65 or a bit less to flow with Socal morning traffic. When I got off the freeway the MID showed an AVG of 35.5mpg (Auto Mode) / for that trip since the engine was started.

I've done mostly all city driving since then and the AVG in Manual Mode / which shows mpg since the tank fill is down to 26.5mpg. I live in a very hilly area so I'm fairly pleased thus far.

Maybe I'm lucky, drive like a grandpa or a bit of both but my FE numbers in the MID are encouraging. The CVT (to me) is ratio'd out pretty well for good FE while cruising and Mitsubishi seems to have paid attention to anything on the car that can reduce the Cd. The first thing I did on my freeway test drive was to note how many revs the engine turned at 60mph - it was slightly under 2k rpm (the "magic" number to me) which brought a smile to my face.

I know from experience that mfg trip computers can be very optimistic so I'll reserve final determination until after a few tank fills to manually calculate mpgs. I post to Fuelly.com in order to log things and would be happy to share the link once I get more miles on the car. Good luck to all.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Make sure you have 35mpg and not 35mph, I made that mistake the first time too!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reminder My eyesight is still ok - the AVG MPG in the MID was 35.2 for this morning's commute to work, AVG MPH was 49.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Thanks for the reminder My eyesight is still ok - the AVG MPG in the MID was 35.2 for this morning's commute to work, AVG MPH was 49.
Wow, you're doing good! I only get around 24mpg average, the works is when you start the engine in the morning till you drive for about 10 minutes, it says7mpg, 13mpg and it eventually gets to around 20mpg. on the freeway if I drive around 55mpHOUR the green line stays around 30 and that's probably how they count 31mpg on the fwy, they just count the portion when you are on the fwy, no start, no surface streets. But in real life, doing 80mph regularly on the fwy (I know, don't try this at home, but it;s the norm here, Los Angeles area) my avg is around 22mpg. I'm talking about US gallons, I hope you do too, I've seen a confusion between US and Imperial gallons.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 PM

80 is certainly moving - too much drag though for decent FE. I'm here in Socal too and go with the slow(er) flow of traffic that is present on my freeways (91, 605 or 57 and 60). Try and dial the warp drive back a bit if you want better FE. The Outlander Sport like many newer cars has aggressive deceleration fuel cutoff (DFCO) - you can readily see it kick in when the instantaneous mpg bar pegs full scale right when you let off the gas. Minimize braking and try to work in some coasts on the freeway and/or in town and you might squeak out another mpg or so - even at higher speeds.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 AM

I am also getting awful results. 24 mpg is the best I've gotten even on a trip of 100% flat Texas highway cruise control 100%. I average 20-22 in mixed city/highway driving. I got around the same mpg (20.1) mixed driving with my Audi V8 in the last fill-up. and I get better mpg in the Audi V8 on the highway (25.2).

I opened a case with Mitsubishi, hopefully we can get a technical answer or mechanical fix.

Outlander Sport SE AWC - 4 k miles
Audi A6 4.2 Quattro - 38 k miles

Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 PM

Well not to add to anyone's pain but I just filled up this evening. Filled up at the same station, pump and time of day. Trip distance was 425 miles using 13.898 gallons giving 30.6 mpg. Was about a 70/30 split between Freeway / City so I'm pleased considering the car has just over 550 miles on the clock.

I'm wondering if the SE AWC folks are at a disadvantage to start off with due to higher curb weight, the 18" Goodyear LS's that aren't exactly a LRR tire, and possibly higher driveline loss due to the need for some sort of electric clutch in the transmission to support the AWC.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by PavementArtist
I am also getting awful results. 24 mpg is the best I've gotten even on a trip of 100% flat Texas highway cruise control 100%. I average 20-22 in mixed city/highway driving. I got around the same mpg (20.1) mixed driving with my Audi V8 in the last fill-up. and I get better mpg in the Audi V8 on the highway (25.2).

I opened a case with Mitsubishi, hopefully we can get a technical answer or mechanical fix.

Outlander Sport SE AWC - 4 k miles
Audi A6 4.2 Quattro - 38 k miles
That's pretty much what I get too, SE 2wd. Please publish any answer you get from Mitsubishi, thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
80 is certainly moving - too much drag though for decent FE. I'm here in Socal too and go with the slow(er) flow of traffic that is present on my freeways (91, 605 or 57 and 60). Try and dial the warp drive back a bit if you want better FE. The Outlander Sport like many newer cars has aggressive deceleration fuel cutoff (DFCO) - you can readily see it kick in when the instantaneous mpg bar pegs full scale right when you let off the gas. Minimize braking and try to work in some coasts on the freeway and/or in town and you might squeak out another mpg or so - even at higher speeds.
That's a good tip, thanks. Regarding speed - I'll keep driving fast if I need to, that's why I got this car so I can get decent mileage for my driving style. I could have gotten any truck and just drive rarely, lake many do, but I like to drive a lot and go places and that's why I got this one. Better mileage car would be good, but for the money I paid it's OK. Gray Ghost, you get some of the best mileage around for this model, lucky you! Everybody else bi***es about mileage here, including me, what's the secret? :-) I understand you drive slower, but that can;t be it, I tried that and it didn;t improve my mileage much, that's why I gave up

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?