Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Default US Numbers

Yes they must test the vehicles differently in the US, or simply more realisticly. Those numbers are very close to what I'm getting. Also interesting is that the 2WD and AWD models have different ratings while in Canada they are identicle despite the heavier curb weight? Maybe gravity is a little less up here in the North! I'm going to put a little package together for the dealership with all this info and see what they say. Maybe they can get a straight answer from Mitsubishi?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Right now it's drinking Shell 87...I live in Anaheim Hills and commute to Rosemead. Again, I'm not surprised your mileage is low or what you call 'kinda bad'. Just try and slow it down for one day..say cap your freeway speed at 70 and see how much that trip's mpgs increase over wh....
I drove a little slower and mostly on the fwy and I got 25mpg- I took a pic of that! I guess that if you drive under 2000rpm like someone says below in this forum you get decent mileage but that means I get an awful, long and embarrassing commute! I'll stick with the 22-23mpg and just have my way while driving. I still like the car, all the new stuff, auto everything, keyless entry, USB charger for my phone, Link system, aux audio for my music player, so I enjoy the experience of driving this car a lot.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM

I filled up my tank yesterday and needless to say i am more than a little pissed. I averaged about 18.6MPG in the City. that is with very conservative driving. I dont think it should THAT far off from the 25MPG or even the 20mpg minimum the sticker says. I got the same in my turbo forester with modest driving. and i had the turbo on tap if i needed it. this car is VERY disappointing. I bought it for the increase in advertised economy from the forester. I dont think i should drive like a 80 year old woman with the AC off to attain the advertised mileage. the "best" i could do since i bought this vehicle with 5miles on the clock is 20.4 all city and 24.3 all highway.

i understand that terrain and temperature may have something to do with the output, but come on. to not even get to the 20mpg. (the sticker says 25MPG "most drivers will get between 20mpg and 28mpg") i dont think i have been driving like or in the conditions of the other 1%.

PAVEMENTARTIST, how did you go about opening a case with mitsu? i think i am going to do the same.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 AM

I called the Mitsubishi customer service number 1-888-MITSU2011 (1-888-648-7820) and spoke with a customer service representative. I explained that the vehicle was getting poor MPG and they opened a case. I'm not planning to proceed with my case as I have found that my car can get the advertised MPG if I baby it.

FWIW, I had the AC running in auto mode the whole time, 90ish degrees outside on my way in, over 100 degrees on the ride home. Here are my MPG numbers over the last few days:

Mon to work: 30.8 (2k rpm)
Mon home: 28.6 (2k rpm)
Tue to work: 27.8 (2500 rpm)
Tue home: 26.7 (2500 rpm)

These are the display numbers, won't know what the actual MPG is until I refill... at least the car *thinks* it is getting better MPG.

Last edited by PavementArtist; 07-27-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 AM

If u drive over 65mph.... u will get poor mileage. I average 6.8l/100km or 41.5 mpg (imperial gallon) and I have awd se model.....I have reached 6.6L/100km a couple of times, but thats running around 58mph? I made a trip to calgary and was motoring ,averaged 70mph and only managed 29mpg ...... travelling at that speed I lost 12.5 mpg? Make sure u are using 0W20 motor oil and use straight gasoline.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Here in a clean air state like California, gasoline with a minimum of 10% ethanol (E10) is the norm. Besides, it's illegal to put straight gasoline (E0) in an over-the-road vehicle. Some exceptions for collector / antique vehicles, boats, and aircraft engines but that's it.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:29 PM

I tried it the other day, I reset the counter while on the fwy at 60mph and went on for about 10min. I got 30.6mpg! once I went up to 80mph it went down to 28mpg and so on. So if you measure it like EPA does it works. But I was the slowest around and while I was getting better mileage everyone around me was burning gas to get around me! At least I know now, the worst mileage is when I rev up the engine, start from still and stuff like that. So I take off slower if I there is no reason to hurry up and stuff like that now. If a car that advertises 31mpg gets 20-22 I can only imagine what one that advertises 18mpg gets in real life!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Just bought a new 2011 RVR (Outlander Sport in the USA) last week. First mileage calculation was 350km using 38.5L or 11L/100km which is equal to 21mpg(US). This was 100% city driving with plenty of stop sign idling and parking etc. Average speed for the 350km was 21km/hr lol. Stop sign synhcronization is non-existant where I live and it's construction season. Having switched from a 2004 Jeep Liberty which real world averaged 20L/100km or 11mpg I'm more than satisfied with the mileage I'm getting so far. I'm hoping it get's a bit better after engine break-in, hopefully closer to 10L/100km.

I've found that every vehicle I've ever owned has been 15-25% thirstier than the advertised gas mileage. It's only possible to reach those kind of numbers at a sustained cruising speed of 50km/h in the city and 90-95km/h on the highway. Add in any stop and go traffic or higher speed on the highway(increased drag) and you get the real world numbers which are always higher. Personally it doesn't bother me that I don't get the claimed numbers, to me they are just a yardstick to compare vehicles against each other. If one vehicle is rated 8.8L/100km in the city and the other is 10L/100km then I know which one should get better mileage, irregardless of the fact that both will be significantly higher.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Ended up taking an unexpected long road trip last week and have some better mileage numbers to report (all based on trip computer readings):

Highway numbers:
Approx. 1,000km at 130km/h (80MPH) was 9.0L/100km or 26MPG
Approx. 225km at 104km/h (65MPH) was 7.0L/100km or 33MPG

City:
Driving my wife to work in HEAVY stop and go traffic (12km roundtrip, avg speed 20km/h) gives consistent readouts of 11.5-12.5L/100km or 18.8-20.4 MPG.
Driving my route to work in sparse traffic with very few red lights (30km roundtrip, avg speed 45km/h) I get a better than rated 8.2L/100km or 28.7 MPG

I'm at 4,700km on the odometer after last week so I'm pretty sure that it's about as broken in as it's going to get. Overall I'm very happy with the numbers I am getting. What I've learnt is basically that 2 things will kill your mileage, travelling over 100km/h (65MPH) and heavy stop and go traffic. If you can avoid stopping in city traffic your mileage rises drastically, and driving faster really makes it drop fast.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Had my O-Sport (2wd) for a couple weeks now and for my first fill up, I got 25.7 mpg. I do 80% freeway, 20% city and nearly all of the freeway miles are hilly.

It's very easy to see when your car is drinking more gas by the little meter on the dash. Just keep it green and keep your speed constant on the freeway, if you can, for better mpg.

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?