Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM

I now have 5600kms on my rvr.... went from revelstoke to golden and back and to vernon, display showed 6.7 L/ 100Km.....my manaul calculation was 41.7 mpg (imperial gal), this is 99.9% highway driving around 90kmh to 110kmh. This is using regular petro canda fuel. Had my first oil change at 4400km...mitsubishi 0W20 syn. oil was added to crankcase. Also I am driving in 2wheeldrive mode.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Got the best city number for mine so far this morning after switching to 2wd mode. 28 mpg city. This is normal driving I'm not hypermiling or anything. When I fill up this afternoon I will calc the tank average and update.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Red face The Results

After completing the second road test (88KM) I cannot argue the fact that the car got the advertised economy. We drove on the highway and through town, with cruise control and A/C. We managed to get 6.3/L 100K or 44.58 MPG. Which is excellent. So I would feel like a complete idiot except for one variable. When we filled up the car, we were able to put an extra 10 litres in fuel into the tank after the nozzle clicked off!!! I watched amazed as the car kept on drinking it up! So with this said there is a 0-10 litre varaible on fill ups. For example I fill the car up to what i think is full and drive 400K and then fill up again to what I think is full but this time the car takes an extra 7 L due to whatever circumstances as pump speed, tank pressure or temperature, well that is going to greatly reduce my fuel economy, when in fact the car is just accepting more fuel. With this said we have filled the car until fuel is visible at the fuel hole and I will fill up again the same next time and will post results. My driving range is apparently 750KM!!! with the tank filled to capacity!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM

My last tank average was about 23mpg. A little lower than I thought but not bad. It seems to be getting better as time goes on. For a test I put premium in on the last fill-up and that has really knocked my gas mileage down. Getting about 20-23mpg city. (5 mile trips here and there over the holiday weekend). Will post again at the end of this tank. ( I just added a roof kit which includes rails and crossbars) for my kayaks which will most likely reduce my numbers but hopefully not too much.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Hello wesstons, its not a good idea to fill the tank up to the fill hole? I find that setting the nozzle to the lowest setting works fine.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Just did a 900+km trip over the long weekend, results were decent. The trip wasn't completely flat, lots of hills and uphill sections.

8.4L/100km avg, with AC on, 4 adults, luggage and a cooler full for drinks. No where near the advertised 6.6L/100km highway, but given factors i'm happy.

I actually prefer driving with the tiptronic/paddle shifters than CVT mode. The RPMs are only slightly higher in 6th than in CVT mode, but the ability for it to hold the gear actually makes it better. Also I find downshifting to 5th to pass or accelerate quicker and more fuel efficient than letting the CVT hum away. In 5th you get it done faster and I feel using less fuel, in CVT mode it takes too long, the RPMs go higher and it just feels like it took longer and ate more fuel.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 AM

Maybe so, but I am trying to do an accurate test over an entire tank of fuel and as I said before there is a 0 to 10 litre variance from the time the nozzle clicks so it is the only way to do an accurate test over an entire tank.

Originally Posted by jmda61
Hello wesstons, its not a good idea to fill the tank up to the fill hole? I find that setting the nozzle to the lowest setting works fine.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM

Those are pretty good numbers considering the loaded vehicle. I will post our results when we get them, it's some time between tanks for us.

Originally Posted by tdott
Just did a 900+km trip over the long weekend, results were decent. The trip wasn't completely flat, lots of hills and uphill sections.

8.4L/100km avg, with AC on, 4 adults, luggage and a cooler full for drinks. No where near the advertised 6.6L/100km highway, but given factors i'm happy.

I actually prefer driving with the tiptronic/paddle shifters than CVT mode. The RPMs are only slightly higher in 6th than in CVT mode, but the ability for it to hold the gear actually makes it better. Also I find downshifting to 5th to pass or accelerate quicker and more fuel efficient than letting the CVT hum away. In 5th you get it done faster and I feel using less fuel, in CVT mode it takes too long, the RPMs go higher and it just feels like it took longer and ate more fuel.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by The_Wesstons
Maybe so, but I am trying to do an accurate test over an entire tank of fuel and as I said before there is a 0 to 10 litre variance from the time the nozzle clicks so it is the only way to do an accurate test over an entire tank.
There is no such thing as an accurate fuel pump at your local gas station. You just have to be aware and accept that there will be errors in the volume of fuel it pumps. 5% error on 50L's puts you off by 2.5L in either direction.

By filling to the brim you are risking harming your emissions control system which may throw a code and cause the service engine light to come on.

I only ever fill it to the first click at a pump. The back pressure of the fuel against the nozzle shuts off the pump and I would think this is rather consistent unless it is clicking off all the time during your filling.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-pump5.htm

To limit the variation in your fillups you can try using the same fuel pump at the same station at the same time of the day - mornings are much cooler and temperature affects liquid volume which is why the pumps are volume corrected to a specific temperature.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Default Disgusted with MPG!!!

I have the SE 4WD and always have it in 2WD and have it for almost 3 mths. I live in Florida (VERY FLAT)... I am lucky if I get 18 mpg! I've already brought it into the dealer once and I was told they got 25 mpg on the hwy - which is still way less than what it should get on hwy. I am going to call them tomorrow again because the entire reason I bought this crossover was because of the mpg on the sticker.

Otherwise, I like the vehicle but I am seriously considering getting rid of it if this is the mpg I will be getting. It's not worth it to me! Plus I feel like they've lied about the mpg which totally sucks!

It sounds like I'm not alone in the crappy mpg the Sport is getting either which is disheartening. This is the first and list Mitsubishi I will ever buy.

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?