Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   2013 Outlander Sport. Idle Noise? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/2013-outlander-sport-idle-noise-54501/)

TheAvgBair 07-28-2020 07:31 AM

2013 Outlander Sport. Idle Noise?

Hey all!

I recently purchased a 2013 Outlander Sport with 22K miles. Over the past week, I have noticed a what I can only describe as a very slight "Knock" or maybe even like a tractor if that makes any sense.
I can only hear the sound when Im standing outside the car or when sitting at a light at idle with no radio or A/C on. I don't notice it as speed over the regular engine noise.

I hesitate to use the word knock since I have never heard a knocking engine before and from the videos I have found a knock seems to be pretty pronounced.

How does your engine sound at idle or has anyone heard a similar sound? I will try and get a video or sound clip later today.

Gonzo 08-14-2020 05:52 AM

Engine Knocking at idle

Hi You did not say what the engine type is. I am based in the UK I know the diesel 4N14 2.268cc MIVEC 174HP 130Kw has a major problem with balance shaft coupling wear. This results in a ticking sound at idle and the volume is a lound tick as the wear increases . If the revs are increased above idle the sound diminishes and returns immediately the engine goes back to idle speed. The ticking sound is not the heavy clatter as with worn big ends and it is sometimes mistaken for the cam drive chain rattle but this engine does not usualy have that problem. If your engine has a balance shaft module then this is a probable cause of the loud ticking noise. Mitsubishi no longer sell replacement couplings as the wear will simply re occure. They offer a set of very expensive replacement components for the full balance shaft module and drive . If it is this fault, some people have removed the drive coupling. (this is a cube shape with a slot on one face and a drive tang on the opposite face to mate with the gear shaft and the balance module input. The balance module will no longer rotate but all report no obvious difference in the balance vibrations from the engine. If the problem is not fixed the drive gear teeth have been known to fail and this may cause catastophic engine failure of surounding housing and bearings. My own engine has this problem and I may remove the coupling. Others report that in the UK dealers have been denying the problem exists but the fault is reported world wide with this engine. Look for examples on You Tube. there are several good videos demonstrating the sound and showing the worn components. Search for Mitsubishi 4N14 engine rattle. Hope its not this, but good luck. Please post what you find. ( If you have this engine , you will need to drop the sump and check the play and wear in the coupling)