Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

30k service recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Default 30k service recommendations?

So, after 3.5 years I finally reached 30k miles and it's time for the dreaded service that costs an arm and a leg for nothing.

I've called couple of dealers and first one said $595 for inspection, tire rotation, coolant flush, transmission fluid flush, all filters replacement. Second dealer said $400 for pretty much the same thing, but they don't flush coolant, break or transmission fluids. If the inspection recommends it will be another $360. So, I figured it's total rip off and I would rather do some of the things myself and individual things at some other shop. So does anyone know what are all recommended items besides these that I should consider:

oil change (done already)
27 point inspection (done with oil change)
tire rotation (free at the tire shop)
transmission fluid flush (need)
break fluid (need)
coolant flush (need)
air filter (K&N)
cabin filter (replaced myself)
viper blades replacement (wth!)
fuel filter (is there one?)

Anything else?

Thank you and Happy upcoming New Year!

Last edited by klas; 12-31-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM

Happy new year and if you have a 4WD Outlander, I believe that the rear differential fluid needs to be replaced at 30,000 miles (or at least its recommended to be replaced). I am at 20,000 miles so still a year away.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Service department did not mention anything about replacing differential fluid.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by klas
Service department did not mention anything about replacing differential fluid.
I believe that it is specified in the owners manual under severe maintenance at 30,000 miles (4WD only). Besides, I like Mitsubishi cars but from my experience with Mitsubishi dealer service, it is best to do a bit of your own research, they are not the brightest of the bunch and will always try to sell you some totally unnecessary job, basically you gotta know more or less what your car really needs.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 12-31-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 PM

My 08 ES has the long life coolant and the service manual shows the flush at 60,000 miles for both the normal and severe schedules, not 30,000. Not sure if it's the same for the 07 model that Klas has.

Also although not listed in the Mitsu service manual, many of the auto websites I've visited recommend a brake system flush at 3 years or 30,000 miles and I noticed Klas did have it listed in his post.

Last edited by azjake; 12-31-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 AM

fuel filter (is there one?)
It sure IS but does it have to be changed? Definitely not at such a small mileage. Once again rip-off - it is located in the fuel tank, so imagine how much its replacement costs.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Do they do anything special at 30k that wasn't mentioned above? Maybe there is something that's worth $400 price tag...

Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 PM

Do they do anything special at 30k that wasn't mentioned above? Maybe there is something that's worth $400 price tag...
Ya, rob you lol.

Coolant flush can wait till 60k easy.

Tranny flush should be done at 30k, could wait till 50k though. I waited till 50k. Shops usually charge $120 for tranny flush.

Rear diff does not need changed at 30k even on 4x4. I dont know for sure but thats way early, maybe 60 or even 90k.

A 30k service package is usually a HUGE rip off. A friend owns a NAPA auto shop, says some of the stuff that they recommend is like getting your oil changed every 1,000 miles. Or you could wait...... Remember you have a 50k/5yr warranty.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Banned

Set it on fire.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 AM

Here is what 30k Regular Maintenance recommends:

- Check fuel hoses condition (recommended, but not required)
- Replace air cleaner filter (can do myself)
- Replace spark plugs (can do myself)
- Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance (not "scheduled" service)
- Check drive belts condition (for the generator, water pump, power steering pump)
- Change engine oil
- Replace engine oil filter
- Check manual transaxle/transmission oil level and condition
- Check transfer oil level and condition (what's that?)
- Inspect coolant hoses condition. (radiator hose, heater hose) - done with service
- Inspect disk brake pads and rotors for wear
- Inspect rear drum brake linings and rear wheel cylinders for war and leaks of all wheels
- Check brake hoses for deterioration or leaks
- Inspect ball joint and steering linkage seals for grease leaks and damage
- Inspect drive shaft boots for grease leaks and damage
- Inspect suspension system for looseness and damage (????)
- Check rear axle oil level (necessary?)

Quite a long list of things and I know some I can do myself, but what about others. Are they really worth being inspected?

Quick Reply: 30k service recommendations?