Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Acetone as an Additive

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Default Acetone as an Additive

A buddy sent me a link yesterday to some type of fuel conserving article speaking about the use of tiny amounts of acetone added to the fuel tank and yielding 10+% additional mpg. We are talking about approx 1-2 oz US to a tank for those type of results. The claim is increased performance and lower emissions as well.
Evidently the acetone will change the surface tension of the gas thus increasing vaporization and therefore more of the gas injected is burned with much less exiting the combustion chamber. I can't personally speak to the chemistry involved but there were links included in the article from dozens of people that have tried this with various claims depending on vehicle type and gas used. Some unsanctioned studies have been done looking at corrosive consequences with some variable results. Anyone have personal experience using this? Any opinions on the safety in experimenting?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 AM

I know people use methyl-hydrate, but not acetone. I know it can help you pass an emissions test, but I'm not sure about increasing MPG. Personally with a new vehicle, I wouldn't experiment with chemicals in my gas tank.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 PM

gasoline burns hotter than acetone...if you put acetone in your gas, you'll be decreasing the amount of energy you'll be releasing once the fuel is burned.

Edit:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp