Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

air flow to radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Default air flow to radiator?

ok, im about to install my fog lights behind the grill, but im wondering if its ok to block a bit of the air flow passage to the radiator.

Im not sure if it needs alot of air flow, but i dont want to overheat.

any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Default RE: air flow to radiator?

How big are the lights and what are you using them for? If it's for show or to compliment the headlamps, get something that fits in the designated space on the bumper. If you're using it for some serious night driving (cruising on farm roads after dark does not constitute serious night driving unless you're looking for sheep), then you don't have much of a choice.

Anything useful for night racing/rally will be big enough to block and seriously disrupt general air flow to your radiator. It impacts not just the area blocked but the entire system because they create turbulence in the surrounding area thus reducing air flow speed to/through your radiator.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:18 AM

3in round

these are mainly head light complimentary, but i could use some extra light to the road

Old 06-14-2005, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: crunchie

How big are the lights and what are you using them for? If it's for show or to compliment the headlamps, get something that fits in the designated space on the bumper. If you're using it for some serious night driving (cruising on farm roads after dark does not constitute serious night driving unless you're looking for sheep), then you don't have much of a choice.

Anything useful for night racing/rally will be big enough to block and seriously disrupt general air flow to your radiator. It impacts not just the area blocked but the entire system because they create turbulence in the surrounding area thus reducing air flow speed to/through your radiator.
i, agree w/ crunchie, performance wise.. you dont wanna block the airflow, it will disrupt air passage thru your radiator. plus that fog light will create heat ( if it is install behind the grill) and that heat will transfer aerodynamically back thru your radiator. reason why rally drivers install their big fogs on to the top of the hood / aero bumper.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:48 AM

if it is possible to create the same (if not higher) air flow to the radiator, will this work?

I have the grill sections in front of me and I think I can make some kind of scoop/vent

Old 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Punisher

if it is possible to create the same (if not higher) air flow to the radiator, will this work?

I have the grill sections in front of me and I think I can make some kind of scoop/vent
yeah its possible, actually w/ the scoop you will gain air volume. but uhhmm i, donnoe bout vent though, well it should lower the heat rate at least. you'll be fine with the scoop/vent.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:18 PM

ok ill give it a try... i just hope it doesnt create any front noise

Old 06-16-2005, 01:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Punisher

ok ill give it a try... i just hope it doesnt create any front noise
its gonna be alright bro.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:20 PM
JMC

I really don't think 3" round fogs will make a big difference in air flow.
Post some pics when yr done, I bet it's gonna look sweet!

Old 06-17-2005, 11:13 PM

hopely he's doin o.k. w/ the fogs.

Quick Reply: air flow to radiator?