Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Am I the only one with this issue??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Default Am I the only one with this issue??

Hey all,

So I have a 2009 Outlander LS (V6) with about 30,000km on it. I live in Canada so it gets cold in the winter, and this is where my issue begins.

Each morning, once the temperature hits about 5 degrees celcius or colder, after I start the truck and start moving, if I have to stop or slow down, the downshifts are BRUTALLY rough, especially the one from 2nd to 1st - the whole truck jerks accompanied by an audibly loud clunk. Even from 3rd to 2nd it makes a noise, and a bit of a jerk, but not as bad as the 2nd to 1st. However, once the truck gets warmed up, that nasty jerk and noise goes away.

Now even in the summer I find the shift from 1st-2nd - up and down (when done manually is pretty rough), but when this truck is cold it is almost unbearable. Passengers ask "What the hell was that??" all the time if in the vechicle when cold in the morning....

Am I the only lucky one to experience this?

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 AM

I have the V6 too with similar mileage and experience the same symptoms you've described.

Starting out cold I need to take it easy at my first few stop signs/lights and do not manually down shift like I normally would. You'll notice the vehicle idles much higher (above 1,000 RPMs) than normal until it warms up.

Haven't change my transmission, transfer or differential fluid yet. All factory fills - but I'm not sure if changing any of them would help the situation.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by nesser
I have the V6 too with similar mileage and experience the same symptoms you've described.

Starting out cold I need to take it easy at my first few stop signs/lights and do not manually down shift like I normally would. You'll notice the vehicle idles much higher (above 1,000 RPMs) than normal until it warms up.

Haven't change my transmission, transfer or differential fluid yet. All factory fills - but I'm not sure if changing any of them would help the situation.
Well, I guess I am happy that it isn't just my vehicle, but why in the hell does it do this??? I feel like the tranny is garbage...New cars shouldn't do this.

I guess another question is is it doing damage???? It's not like I'm running the Dakar rally, I'm gently pulling out of my parking lot in cold weather.

Do you experience the hard shift from 1st to 2nd when the vehicle is warmed up (any time of year) when in manual mode? I've driven many types of cars/SUV and this is the first one that has such a bad shift into 2nd in manumatic mode.....

Other than that, I like the Outlander - but it just makes you feel sick when you hear this every morning

Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 PM

I have not experienced the Wisconsin winter yet with my 2010 Outlander GT. My 2004 Nissan Titan had an amazingly smooth transmission but when the temp gets to -30 F the shifts are clunky until warm up. I would ask the dealer, I agree, I love this car but if you are getting this at your temp, what will happen to me this February? It just doesnt seem right to me.
Good Luck and let us know,
Chek6

Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 PM

There are two different issues you are having:
1. Shifts during cold weather - Normal if you don't let the car warm up before driving. According to the manual, you should let it run in P until the transmission fluid heats up. At around -30, the transmission will not shift to any gear until it warms up sufficiently. This is normal for most automatic cars in cold weather.

2. Manual shifts - Normal if you don't shift properly. Have you driven a manual car before? If not, then you probably aren't taking into consideration the almost double ratio between 1st and 2nd (4.199 vs 2.405). So if you downshift at anything above idle RPM, you will feel it. Don't worry about stalling the car, as the V6 has enough power to start in 2nd (and it is recommended for icy roads). Likewise, the V6 has lots of low end torque, which also helps in feeling the change in gears.

As for upshifts, you are probably not lifting your foot off the gas and letting the RPMs settle before shifting.

If this isn't the case, then you may have transmission issues.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM

what does your tranny fluid look like? what's the level?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Tranny fluid looks fine.....

I have driven manuals most of my life - However, I have driven cars with automatic transmission that do not have any rough shifting in cold temp at all. Even with all the manumatics I have been in, I do not take my foot off the gas when shifting and it is smooth as anything (whether it is cold out or not or first thing in the morning on a cold day- but I will admit I have not done this with an SUV - they have all been cars).

For the Outlander, I get this annoying jerk and downshift noise at 5 degrees celcius (that really isn't cold) when in drive - that is not normal for any car I have driven or been in that is automatic (at least not to the extent that happens with the Outlander)

Old 10-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
My dealers service department said to go ahead and drive it after giving it a bit of time to warm up. It's the best way to warm the vehicle up since it has an aluminum block. To be honest I don't know what the manual says for cold starts.

Fluid level is within spec and the colour from the dipstick wiped on a white piece of paper is a clear to light pink colour. No smell.

Down shifting (engine braking) when you're going from 3->2 and it's cold will give some chatter as the gear engages. I only down shift from 2->1 when the RPMs are below 2,000 and everything is nice and warmed up.

I'd never down shift into 1 when it is cold because I've done it before and didn't like how the car reacted.

If you go into manual mode before coming to a stop at about 60km/h you can watch the car down shift itself as you apply only the brakes. I can't remember but I don't think it ever goes into first gear.

Obviously the vehicle clutches for you when you shift so no need to come off the accelerator when up shifting. The fly by wire figures that out. I can get it confused if I shift at strange RPMs or right in transition from stopping (no gas) to going again (goose it) at a light. This is almost always in the lower gears.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by nesser
My dealers service department said to go ahead and drive it after giving it a bit of time to warm up. It's the best way to warm the vehicle up since it has an aluminum block. To be honest I don't know what the manual says for cold starts.

Fluid level is within spec and the colour from the dipstick wiped on a white piece of paper is a clear to light pink colour. No smell.

Down shifting (engine braking) when you're going from 3->2 and it's cold will give some chatter as the gear engages. I only down shift from 2->1 when the RPMs are below 2,000 and everything is nice and warmed up.

I'd never down shift into 1 when it is cold because I've done it before and didn't like how the car reacted.

If you go into manual mode before coming to a stop at about 60km/h you can watch the car down shift itself as you apply only the brakes. I can't remember but I don't think it ever goes into first gear.

Obviously the vehicle clutches for you when you shift so no need to come off the accelerator when up shifting. The fly by wire figures that out. I can get it confused if I shift at strange RPMs or right in transition from stopping (no gas) to going again (goose it) at a light. This is almost always in the lower gears.

It does downshift into first automatically if you slow down enough

I guess all I am saying is that in my experience, when the engine is cold (starting at 5 degrees celcius and going lower), the Outlander shifts WAY harder when you are slowing down than any other vehicle I have ever driven. I just wanted to know if the awful clunk noise and jerk when this happens is normal to everyone or if something was wrong with mine.

If it is normal, I've never come across a car where this is a normal occurence...makes me wonder if they couldn't have prevented this, but oh well

Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 PM

my '07 has performed nearly like any other auto I've driven...

Quick Reply: Am I the only one with this issue??