Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Am I the only one with this issue??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 PM

PURPOSE
Customers of some affected vehicles may notice a shock when the transmission shifts from 1
st to 2nd or
downshifts from 3
rd to 2nd, when the fluid temperature is below 10°C (50°F). This condition is due to
transmission fluid line pressure being higher than expected at these temperatures.
This TSB describes procedures to reprogram the TCM with new parameters to correct the condition.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2010 Outlander V6 built prior to the following dates:
U.S & Puerto Rico: July 20, 2010
Canada: July 21, 2010

.TSB 10-23-006

Old 10-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Don't worry about it because the Outie's gear ratio from 1st to 2nd is bigger than normal. nesser my outie is not running smooth even if shifting from gear 2 to 1 at 2000rpm, only put it to neutral to reduce the stopping distance instead of using engine brake.

And oh, in one occation I accidentally put the gear between reverse and parking. Of course I couldn't back up and the car stayed there. When I put it back to reverse and back up, the big loud clunk came. I was curious and I kept shifting between parking and reverse and it kept giving me a loud clunk. I shut down the engine and turn it back on to solve the problem.

As of how to solve the problem, I would suggest you not to use gear 1. It is good to start with gear 2 when going down hill from a full stop but I do not recommend doing it when going uphill even you can do that.

Best option I have had to avoid having clunk noise and rough shifting, just let the car idle for 10 mins and the car will shift better even if you are shifting down from gear 2 to 1 without applying brakes. Hope that helps.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 PM
tcp
Default yup

i garage it at home, but at work it sits outside all day...even at -45C with windchill. I let it run for a while before driving away, but it doesn't seem to heat up very well while idling. I have a heating pad under the oil pan but even without it plugged in it always starts. It seems to shift normally even then.

Originally Posted by ivanz
Was it left overnight at -35*C? If so, then even Mitsubishi didn't know what their cars are capable of...as the manual clearly states it won't shift until it warms up.
I've noticed it won't go above 3rd when below ~10*C until it warms up, but the manual states that is normal and you should manually shift if it doesn't.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by andre110

TSB 10-23-006
Thanks for the TSB number! Very helpful. I'm due for an oil change in about 1000km's and I'll bring this in with me.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by andre110
PURPOSE
Customers of some affected vehicles may notice a shock when the transmission shifts from 1
st to 2nd or
downshifts from 3
rd to 2nd, when the fluid temperature is below 10°C (50°F). This condition is due to
transmission fluid line pressure being higher than expected at these temperatures.
This TSB describes procedures to reprogram the TCM with new parameters to correct the condition.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2010 Outlander V6 built prior to the following dates:
U.S & Puerto Rico: July 20, 2010
Canada: July 21, 2010

.TSB 10-23-006
WOW, that is EXACTLY what is happening!!!! Nice work on the TSB! Any idea how long that would take to fix?

Also, the fact it is happening, would this be hurting or have already hurt the transmission? Anyone know?

Thanks again for the post!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:56 PM

Thank you andre110!!! I purchased my 2010 Outlander in December of last year and this is the fix that I have been waiting all year for. Even the dealership told me it wasn’t normal for the transmission to be behaving this way but until they get the corrective instructions from Mitsubishi Canada, they can’t fix it. Now, there is hope that I can finally enjoy my Outlander without having it jerk and clunk on a cold start. Again, thank you so much!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM

Must be something related to the idle neutral logic, which was introduced in 09.
I think that whole system is just a software change, personally.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:14 AM

So I made an appt for Friday at Mitsubishi. I explained the problem about the hard shifting in cold weather and gave them the TSB number. They didn't really care about the number - they said they would have to hook the car up to the computer, and find out what TSBs are outstanding on the vehicle....They said there were a few for the hard shifting problem.

I take it then a TSB doesn't give a range of VIN numbers of affected vehicles then?

Hopefully this one takes care of it!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
So I made an appt for Friday at Mitsubishi. I explained the problem about the hard shifting in cold weather and gave them the TSB number. They didn't really care about the number - they said they would have to hook the car up to the computer, and find out what TSBs are outstanding on the vehicle....They said there were a few for the hard shifting problem.

I take it then a TSB doesn't give a range of VIN numbers of affected vehicles then?

Hopefully this one takes care of it!

So I was in Calgary and had them take care of this TSB for the hard shifting in cold weather. Of course, the weather is now really nice and not too cold, so I can't really tell if it helped or not yet

BUt there was a TSB out for the problem and it is one being done only if you complain about it...and it was the exact number that Andre110 posted....I'll let you all know if it fixed it the next cold morning!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Well it was a nice cold morning today (-7 degrees celcius) and was curious whether or not that jerk and clunk was gone on my outie in cold weather during downshifts.

That TSB update seemed to take care of it. There was a slight, slight jerk downshifting from 3rd to second (this is in DRIVE - I am not doing the downshifting), but no where near what it used to do and that awful CLUNK is gone.

So if you have issues with rough downshifting in cold weather, get that TSB done..
Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: Am I the only one with this issue??