Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Another new Outie owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Default Another new Outie owner

Well I got my new Outie(aqua, LS) on 7/2/07 and its been great so far. I couldn't find a better small SUV for less then 20K with a V6 and the awesome warranty. The ride is smooth, the fast acceleration to freeway speed is a plus. Its also nice to seeI was cruising at 80 mph at around 2300rpm. Already have 700 miles on it in two weeks with out using it to drive to work, got my civic 2002 for work commute . Also haven't seen one in my area(LA or OC) on the road. My Outie feel unique and lonely...

The only drawing back so far(and also how I came to find this forum) is there is very little after market stuff for this baby. I know, I know this gen outie was out for only 9 month or so but I figure somebody would have put out an audio kit and harness for it by now. Metra nothing, Scosche nothing. I might have to go to a shop soon if I cant find anything online. Well it'll be nice to hear from anyone in southern california with an outie.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Default RE: Another new Outie owner

Yay another aqua owner Im waiting to see how the aftermarketstereo thing pans out. If you find anything make sure to post it here. As far as being unique its quite funny to be at a gas station and have a crowd asking about the outie. I make sure I carry business cards to my dealer, I was very impressed with them.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 PM

Socal checking in.

I too am wishing there were more mods for this car. Good luck with the stereo.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 PM

Welcome to the forum. So far, the best I've come up with is to buy a OEM dash panel from the NAV system which should have a standard double-din hole in it. Then either use a double din head unit, or fab a basic gap filler on a singler din. Kenwood and Alpine seem to have a selection of double-dins... mostly DVD players though. Unfortunately, most of the nicer SQ stuff is single din. Nakamichi has a $1700 double din CD700II if you can find one or afford one. BTW, I got a quote for $160 for that replacement panel alone

I tried JL cleansweep and felt it was too noisy, FYI.

On the bright side... interior comes apart and goes back together nicely - just take your time. I had all the vertical surface trim out (except the dashboard) and didn't break a single clip. TONS of room for 6.5" speakers, front and rear, depth wise - easily 3.5" deep if you wanted. Room for crossovers within the door panel.... lots of Room everywhere, in fact

I'm very pleased with the sound of the car overall, with dynamat only in the doors and rear quarterpanel. A little boom down low, but not terrible. Unfortunately, the doors do have large openings on the inner sheetmetal, so you would need some skills to really make a single enclosure out of the whole door - and I didn't.

Good luck... and let us know what you're up to with it.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll take what I can get. I been combing thru the forum and it sounds like the best bet is just to wait a little bit for the after market to catch up. I like to tinker a bit but I want to have a nice finish panel to blend with the dash and not have to create my own. I'll drop by the audio shop this weekend to see if they have something we haven't found. $160 is a steep price for a small piece of plastic...
My goal is to not make the outie look too outrageous. My wish list is a double-din dvd for the front plusan overhead dvd in the rear(for the chubbie baby coming in lateSeptember).Maybe some 18" rims. Are these too much to ask for?

As for the Outie I am more impress by it now then before I bought it. Some of the review are off base, I can bearly hear any road noise and I rather like the interior, easy to clean.. One question, what is up with the rear antenae do we need it if we dont have satellite radio?

Here's a sight to be seen, SoCal outie owners in a caravan to Vegas!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:25 PM

About the antena, yes you need it! its your radio antena. I find it kind of anoying at times when I have it up, sometimes I forget to put it down before I put my baby to sleep in the garage and BAM! it hits the door, luckilly it must be mounted to a cross beam or something because there was no dent on the roof or anything. So a shorty antena would be nice, there was a thread about this a while ago and they said tha the ones for the new lancers wont fit either(not sure) but I'll keep researching when I can.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info that it does go down I didn't even know that.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Welcome.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Outie

Thanks for the info that it does go down I didn't even know that.
Me neither? Is there a 'antenna lowering' faq? Seriously though... how do you do it?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Someone go out there and see if the antena goes down. The outie is in my garage at home. [>:]

Quick Reply: Another new Outie owner