Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Any issues with valet parking/going to car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Default Any issues with valet parking/going to car wash?

With the F.A.S.T. key, have you guys had any problems when using valet parking or going to the car wash? Do you have to explain to the person taking your car how the key works?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Any issues with valet parking/going to car wash?

I did on my first valet park. But I figured they must have valet parked a lot more "advanced" cars than what we have, and they'd figure it out. And beside, the Lancers are here, they should be more common than the Outlanders. I'm guessing most of the valet guys have parked one of those before so they should somewhat figure how the key works.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Give them the valet key. That's why they call it a valet key.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Actully the recommendation is that you give them the FAST key and you keep the emergency key, the glove box can only be locked/onlocked usinng the emergency key, so you leave what ever valuables you don't want to bring, in it and keep the key with you. Also if for what ever reason you FAST key stops working, you can always use the mergency keep. Murphy's law will tell you that that's the exact moment that the Battery on the FAST key will decide that it's too weak to operate, and your wife will have left here key at home.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:12 PM

I would still give them the valet, the FAST is too expensive. My wife always has her key anyway.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Am I missing something here? My XLS didn't come with a valet key, only 2 FAST fob with fully functioning key inserts. My wife's Honda CR-V has a valet key with a gray plastic tab, to distinguish from the regular ones which are black.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM

I haven't had the experience of valet or a non-do-it-yourself carwash. The only one to drive my car since I got it (except the dealer) is me, but I have wondered if they understand the FASTKEY. But this type of thing is becoming so popular that I doubt there are any that haven't seen this type of device yet...

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 AM

The two cars we own have a FAST like system, and it wasn't a key feature when we made our choice, I think that it is very common now. I think that some people refer to the Emergency key as the valet key, a valet key ususally doesn't allow you to get in the glovebox. It's a bit like some people like to call the parking brake, and emergency brake!
I took my car to the carwash a few weeks ago. I had left the FAST key in the center consol, and while they cleaned the interior the guy hit the lock button and they closed all the door, but the tailgate was open, at the time I didn't know that if they had just closed the tailgate all the Door would have unlocked, so one of the guys cralled in to unluck the doors. Now I just keep the emergency key, just in case.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 AM

I guess I just don't worry about the glove box, there's nothing in there I care about anyone else seeing.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Maybe not, but some people will have a portable GPS or MP3 Player that they may want to leave in the car. I'm not trying to tell people what they should do, I realize that leaving the $250 FAST key with a 17 year old kid that is not a natural thing to do, but he is also driving your Outlander that worth a bit more money. Maybe I'm just a naive trusting Canadien! Speaking of Canadiens ... Go Habs Go!

Quick Reply: Any issues with valet parking/going to car wash?