Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

As anyone Wax there car yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Default RE: As anyone Wax there car yet

Good info Abrcrombe.

One thing i've read before is that when washing and drying your car use downward swipes on the sides and front to back swipes on the horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk). Do not use a side to side motion.

The alleged reason being thatlight scratches/swirls are created during washing/drying and are more apparent when they are formed horizontally on the car and standout as the light hits them. If using downward passes with the rags/mits/buffers it allows the light to glide down the car rather be broken up by the scratches.

I've tested this theory and will admit that the swirls/scratches seem to be less prevalent that before I used this practice. Of course if you usea good swirl remover and high gloss wax you can reduce the appearance of scratches/swirls as well.

Another way to test how good a wax is to do just that...test it. Buy 2 products you think are good and use one on one side of the hood and the other on the other side. Or if you don't want to have two different looks on your hood try one on the left side of the car and the other on the right. Then compare them in the same light and see which one you like better.

I've used countless products and found some i liked for protection, some for longevity and others for feel or shine. Carnuba vs Polymer vs Traditional...who knows. If you're like me and have young kids at home that require tons of attention, the factors change for what you want to get from a wax product. Time and cost are my motivators these days.

Here's a list of some of the products i've used and recommend:
Zaino Bros
MeguiersGold/NXT
Mother's California Gold
The BOM - Polymer spray on I use as a quick detailer
Eagle One Wax as-u-Dry (when time is short it gives a quick dose of protection between your normal detailing)

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the input. Highly appreciated! 5 stars

While we're at it, does anyone have any experience with NU Finish Scratch DOctor? Or that other product I saw on TV (forgot the name) which comes with a handheld rotary polisher that repairs scratches.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:55 AM

I use Turtle Ice on my 03 Outtie - and I think that these pix will elt you know how good it looks, even after nearly five years of use - with a lot of dirty weekends offroad in the mix!

www.tinmansplace.multiply.com (go here for more offroad pix)

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/124E39AE8D774EF89A15F3B5F88BF64E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/EFEDFCBFF1474CA4A70AB8834761EC5E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/C5DD10B985A94A138F3693D1E8811AD9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/07DCF48080564F09B5AF0D524312C8B5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/C3EA651A61A645C19D3F6DB3E2B10A1D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-12-2008, 10:19 PM

I'm doing a little experiment with NXT version 1 and 2..half and half on the hood..after 3 weeks, no real difference.

I really need to do a polishing job..winter wasn't kind to me...and I think the body shop washed the Outtie with a brillo pad >.

I've got way too many products and i don't know which to try..I usually like to go with the waxes in warm months, or at least use a wax as the top most layer. Meg's #26 has always been good to me..but so has 16, FK Pink Wax..

Another thumbs up for Jeff's Werkstatt. I love their Prime Strong and then some Acrylic jett Trigger on top of that..my favorite sealant along with Meg's 21.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:44 PM

If you just want looks for the summer months I would go with pink wax or acrylic jett trigger. The others you mentioned are good but geared more towards protection and durability which aren't as important in the warm months.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM

I have my Outie for 2 weeks now (Holland, Instyle Model 2.2 diesel) and a company called ProTech treatedthe carso that it will stay "Showroom Shine" for the next 5 years. Just once in every few weeks I wash the car, dry it and that's it.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:05 PM

Time will tell.
Our dealer offered a similar treatment called PermanentShine when I have my 08 Outie. There are Pro and Con about this process. I opt. out of this option.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM

Anyone Know of a Good Dust brush to use to remove dust off the car with out scartching it. i have a black model so you know its hard to keep it dust free.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM

my uk dealer wanted £300 to do the no wax for 5 years treament. They use supergard I looked on ebay i got the kit for £30 and did it myself

puddy
ps my car was brand new

Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 AM

DeadPool,
I havethe California Car Dusters (exterior/interior)and they work well inside and out. I try to use a quick detailer or polymer spray when its really dusty rather than the CCD. Some people say these dusters can scratch you paint and i'd agree, but it depends onhow dirty the car is.

There's a product called the BOM which works great on the inside and out. You can read more at www.itsthebom.net/942808.htmlor just search the web. I sometimes use it and no other products.

Quick Reply: As anyone Wax there car yet