Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   ASC TROUBLE after clockspring replace (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/asc-trouble-after-clockspring-replace-52663/)

07xlsguy 10-30-2018 12:35 PM

ASC TROUBLE after clockspring replace

Hello all
After replacing my clockspring 07 XLS I now have the ASC SYSTEM coming on while driving. I have to turn the ASC system off to be able to drive.. any advice?

AWCAWD 10-30-2018 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy (Post 325318)
Hello all
After replacing my clockspring 07 XLS I now have the ASC SYSTEM coming on while driving. I have to turn the ASC system off to be able to drive.. any advice?

Have you disconnected the negative terminal of the battery before performing the repair? Since your car has and S-AWC all wheel drive system your car has a steering angle sensor. (Check out this thread for verification post #2 table). If you have not disconnected the battery while you removed the clock spring a DTC was stored.Since you did not mention airbag codes (would have the same reason) I suspect you did disconnect it. Then make sure the the steering angle sensor is properly working/ reconnected. The code can be erased either by the dealer or someone with ETACS programming set up.

07xlsguy 10-30-2018 09:52 PM

Thanks for replying.
Yes, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes before removing the airbag. I had the steering wheel centered but when I attempted to remove it, I could not get enough torque to the nut to break free without the wheel spinning out of my hand. I turned the steering wheel hard left until it locked{mistake?}--which in turn rotated the old clockspring left as well. Next when I installed the new clocksprimg I had to pull the retaining pin and spin it to match the position the old sensor was in to allow the steering wheel to be mounted. In essence, the steering wheel and clockspring { and steering angle sensor?} were installed turned to the left and not centered.
it's not a code , the asc system is actually functioning while drving. = asc light on , reduced power, whining noise ....like when you slip on ice or snow.. could it be possible its because I improperly lined up the clockspring when I installed it?
Is there a way to reset it such as turning it clockwise and backing it off a number of turns to center it properly ? Possibly purchase a new clockspring and start all over while keeping wheel straight the whole time?

07xlsguy 10-31-2018 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy (Post 325324)
Thanks for replying.
Yes, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes before removing the airbag. I had the steering wheel centered but when I attempted to remove it, I could not get enough torque to the nut to break free without the wheel spinning out of my hand. I turned the steering wheel hard left until it locked{mistake?}--which in turn rotated the old clockspring left as well. Next when I installed the new clocksprimg I had to pull the retaining pin and spin it to match the position the old sensor was in to allow the steering wheel to be mounted. In essence, the steering wheel and clockspring { and steering angle sensor?} were installed turned to the left and not centered.
it's not a code , the asc system is actually functioning while drving. = asc light on , reduced power, whining noise ....like when you slip on ice or snow.. could it be possible its because I improperly lined up the clockspring when I installed it?
Is there a way to reset it such as turning it clockwise and backing it off a number of turns to center it properly ? Possibly purchase a new clockspring and start all over while keeping wheel straight the whole time?

If all else fails pull the fuse to the ASC?... I turn it off in winter anyway. It would at least enable me to drive without having to remember to push the ASC OFF button every time I get in the vehicle. Would this throw a CEL code?

AWCAWD 10-31-2018 08:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy (Post 325327)
If all else fails pull the fuse to the ASC?... I turn it off in winter anyway. It would at least enable me to drive without having to remember to push the ASC OFF button every time I get in the vehicle. Would this throw a CEL code?

After reading the repair manual for the 2nd gen Outlander it appears that after replacing the clock spring you have to perform a steering wheel sensor calibration. I have attached the relevant documents from the repair manual. The step-by-step instructions are found within. The bad news is that one needs a MUT III scan tool to perform this operation.

07xlsguy 10-31-2018 09:40 AM

Looks like I'll be taking it to this dealership. No one in my area has the Mitsubishi scan tool. I wonder if I can just pull the ASC fuse if there is one to temporarily disable the system until I can get into the dealer? Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to look into it. Much appreciated

AWCAWD 10-31-2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy (Post 325329)
Looks like I'll be taking it to this dealership. No one in my area has the Mitsubishi scan tool. I wonder if I can just pull the ASC fuse if there is one to temporarily disable the system until I can get into the dealer? Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to look into it. Much appreciated

Sure, you can do that but be aware that you may not have correct ABS, TLC, EBD and S-AWC as they all linked electronically. If the dealer is not too far you should be fine. I would select the S-AWC to the mildest setting (Tarmac I believe). It is possible that your car will throw some DTCs but the dealer should be able to clear them. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

07xlsguy 10-31-2018 10:13 AM

Thanks. I actually don't have the ability to choose settings for the ASC. I do however have a button on the dash that will let me select on or off for the traction control. So long as I remember to push the ASC off button every time I get in the car, I'm fine. I just figured pulling a fuse would alleviate having to do this temporarily. I didn't consider the fact that the traction control works in unison with the ABS system and the pulling the fuse would interfere with both more than likely

07xlsguy 10-31-2018 10:15 AM

Thanks. I actually don't have the ability to choose settings for the ASC. I do however have a button on the dash that will let me select on or off for the traction control. So long as I remember to push the ASC off button every time I get in the car, I'm fine. I just figured pulling a fuse would alleviate having to do this temporarily. I didn't consider the fact that the traction control works in unison with the ABS system and the pulling the fuse would interfere with both more than likely . I have to take my car to the dealer for a recall on the sunroof and the windshield motor mechanism. I'm hoping while I have it in for those repairs they might see fit to hook it up to the scan tool and recalibrate the clockspring as well..

AWCAWD 10-31-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy (Post 325332)
Thanks. I actually don't have the ability to choose settings for the ASC. I do however have a button on the dash that will let me select on or off for the traction control. So long as I remember to push the ASC off button every time I get in the car, I'm fine. I just figured pulling a fuse would alleviate having to do this temporarily. I didn't consider the fact that the traction control works in unison with the ABS system and the pulling the fuse would interfere with both more than likely . I have to take my car to the dealer for a recall on the sunroof and the windshield motor mechanism. I'm hoping while I have it in for those repairs they might see fit to hook it up to the scan tool and recalibrate the clockspring as well..

I meant this setting for the S-AWC:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/mitsubi...4ad5edfc02.jpg
Anyway, good luck.