Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Audio upgrade / sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Cool Audio upgrade / sound deadening

Well, im looking into upgrading the 650w system in my Outlander. I already have (2) 12" Rockford Fosgate P2's installed. Now to get the components in. I decided to go with the T2652-S from Rockford. I wanted to also dampen the door and the hatch in the rear. Once it gets a little warmer here in NY i will start the project.

Before i start this project and obtain the materials, i wanted to see if i can gather some information to help out the process. I'm sure I will figure this all out if i cant get some extra help before hand, but anything helps.

Questions:

- Does anyone know how to remove the door/hatch panels?

- Roof dampening worth attempting?

- Anyone have picture of the doors without the panels?

- What do you think about installing component speakers in the rear doors?

Assuming I get the materials within the next month or so and the weather here in NY cooperates, I will post my progress and hopefully this will help others in the future! I hardly see any info for this so any links, pictures or advice would be greatly appreciated to make the process less of a headache!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 AM

In the Outlander Sport manual that's stickied I remember seeing a break-down of the differences between the stock 4/6 speaker audio and the R.F. system and when Mitsu installs the R.F. setup they actually add dampening to the doors and decent speakers. IDK exactly how similar the O-Sport doors and the full-size Outlander's doors are, but it could be a good starting point for you.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 AM

Hey Kevin,how are you??
Anyhow... Iv had wife's outie stripped right down before remember?? The customising thread. Dampening the roof lining and doors are GOOD, eliminated a decent percentage of road noise in her car.
I even undersea,ed the bottom of the chassis and wheel wells and the guard lining too.
It helps with echoing sounds.

I used a 15mm thick padding for roof and side panels behind rf sub and opposite side etc, doors I have not touched yet until I upgrade components..
Ill then use a felt dead re s it's lighter and longer lasting and clean to apply.

For reference view wife's outlander build thread or my photobucket account ,my username is vr4wgn on there.. You'll see all the stripped out images ok

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Hey man hows it going!

I actually know there is a decent amount of deadening material, but with what im instaling and the kind of mid bass/ sub bass im going to push, every db counts lol.

I just want to get more inside views so i can know before hand what im getting into. I've done car audio for a little bit now, im confident in what im doing but the cold weather here in NY is stopping me from starting this project lol.

Thanks for the replys guys, i will try and record all the events and post it up!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM

I looked up those pictures and they are helpful if i want to do the roof, but the doors and hatch are my main concern, anyone have pictures?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 PM

there should be some somewhere of wifes car.. the doorcards come off easy as, but the handle cables etc stay connected to you need to unclip them but trust me its **** esy

Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 AM

A company called EverCoat makes sound deadening panels for just the thing you are trying to do.

Visit your local auto parts store that sells car paint. (I know that Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes stores carry them)

Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Alright I will see what happens lol.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Thought I had more pics of the doors and rear hatch that I did sound damping on. Must have deleted them by accident. Just the little bit that I put on the doors and such made a huge difference. I would love to tear down the headliner and do that too. But I don't have enough material for that just yet.
Name:  MitsuPassengerDoor_060412_1.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  93.6 KB

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 PM

Wow great thanks.. I want to dampen everything I can to make the spl better.. Any suggestions on subwoofer placement? I have them rear firing at the moment

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade / sound deadening