Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Auto on headlight? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/auto-headlight-25195/)

Cuffy 02-02-2008 06:29 PM

Auto on headlight?

Do the XLS models have Auto-On/Off headlights with the Luxury Pkg?

I thought they did, but i just checked in my MMCS and the only thing I could find is a setting for a making them turn off a couple minutes afterthe car is shut off.

It looks liker there is a photo sensor in the dash though so i'm confused.

antlip 02-02-2008 09:35 PM

RE: Auto on headlight?

If you leave the lights on they turn off like 10 seconds later with the 07 xls with HID lights.

Cuffy 02-02-2008 10:02 PM

So there's not a sensor to make them turn on when it gets dark?

What's the bubble in the center of the dash near the windshield for? It looks like the sensors some of my other cars had.

OzarkXLS 02-02-2008 10:08 PM

I never shut off my lights by the switch unless I think about it, who needs DRL's? When you shut the key off on my XLS without HID's the lights go off in as stated 10 seconds but that can be changed through the touchpad on Nav.

chenarm 02-03-2008 11:01 AM

I left the Switch to on for a while, but the problem I had was the leaving the light on durring the day Dims the radio Display (non-Nav), and on a sunny day, it makes it impossible to read it.

evoracer 02-03-2008 11:30 AM

The "bubble" is the photosensor for the auto climate control (sunload sensor). I would imagine it -could- be utilied to activte headlights with the right modifications though. Hmm...

Malu 02-03-2008 01:08 PM

In my euro-version I have an "Auto" setting on the light stalk. Since headlights are mandatory in Sweden during daytime, they are always on even in the auto setting, but the sensor does dim the radio when it gets dark and turn on lights in clima control et cetera - pretty handy. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to have it set to fully automatic lights provided the sensor is there, and there is a way to enable the "Auto" setting without having it on the stalk.

dodo2 02-03-2008 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Malu

In my euro-version I have an "Auto" setting on the light stalk. Since headlights are mandatory in Sweden during daytime, they are always on even in the auto setting, but the sensor does dim the radio when it gets dark and turn on lights in clima control et cetera - pretty handy. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to have it set to fully automatic lights provided the sensor is there, and there is a way to enable the "Auto" setting without having it on the stalk.
How would you enable the Auto lights without the stalk? I'm very interested to add this option on my Canadain LS. The photo sensor is about $40 CAD so no big deal. The stalk might be around $100 CAD and available from Europe or Japan.
Few Mitsu techs here, but no one seems to be able to give a definite answer is there is anything elese required to make it work on the Canadian/US Outlanders or if it's possible at all.

Malu 02-03-2008 03:56 PM

Well, depending on how the stalk is wired, and what connectors are available on the US versions, it might be possible to to wire in a switch which would make the system believe the stalk is in "auto-mode", without actually having to buy the new stalk. If this is possible (or you get the stalk with auto setting), my bet would be that you would get automatic headlights - it doesn't make much sense to remove the setting/part of the programfrom the software as well removing the hardware. My bet is that there is a setting for headlights (dash etc)and how it should react based upon the input from the stalk and overriding regional settings such the "always on" setting I must endure.

If we were able to get hold of some electrical schematics it should be easily discernable if a simple extra switch (or just a bridging cable) will give you automatic headlights.

Cuffy 02-07-2008 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: evoracer

The "bubble" is the photosensor for the auto climate control (sunload sensor). I would imagine it -could- be utilied to activte headlights with the right modifications though. Hmm...
Thanx evoracer, that makes more sense. I still don't get why there isn't an auto on/off function with the Luxury pkg. Like chenarm said, it makesdims the interior lightingand is harder to read during the day if the headlights are on.

Having that feature would be nice. My stalk doesn't have a switch for "Auto". Strange why European models have it and US models don't if the sensor is alreadythere for sunlight detection.

I really dislike the function of DRL's and think theyactually create an unsafe condition. First off if you have them, and it starts to get dark out you don't realize the actual headlights/tailights aren't on. This makes it harder for vehicles behind you to see your car and catchesthe attention of the law. My work car even has a worse DRL function in that it the dash lights illuminate automatically when it gets dark without the headlight being switched on. I don't know how many times i've driven for miles without realizing that i hadn't switched the lights to on...immediately get that 'oh crap' feeling.