Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Bad smell from ventilation system

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Default Bad smell from ventilation system

We got our '08 Outlander last May. This winter we have noticed a foul smell coming out of the vents periodically. I THINK it only occurs when the heat is on, since we didn't experience it until this winter. It doesn't seem to matter whether the vents are open to fresh air vs. recycled.

The odor is very distinct: it smells almost EXACTLY like the smell you experience when you let the air out of an old bike tire -- that stale inner tube smell -- but very, very potent. We have to crack open the windows when it happens.

It occurs sort of randomly and not all the time, and lasts for maybe 20 minutes, then it seems to go away. I think I have noticed it more during highway driving, but that may just be because shorter trips around town don't trigger it.

I'm taking it in for service tomorrow, but I'd love to have more ammo (information) from this forum before I go in.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Zox

Do you smoke inside?

I experienced some smell from vents after smoking inside...

Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Zox
Do you smoke inside?

I experienced some smell from vents after smoking inside...
No, we don't smoke at all. In fact, I treat our Outlander like a princess... I can't think of anything that has ever been in the cabin that emitted an odor of any sort -- I simply won't do it. So the odor isn't coming from anything that we introduced to the cabin.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Is the smell like bad eggs?

If so it is from the catalytic converter and I think is actually sulphur. If this is the smell I don't know of any way you can prevent it, but you could mention it to your dealer. Some cars seem to produce the smell more than others.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by lozcart
Is the smell like bad eggs?

If so it is from the catalytic converter and I think is actually sulphur. If this is the smell I don't know of any way you can prevent it, but you could mention it to your dealer. Some cars seem to produce the smell more than others.
Nope, no sulfur-y, rotten eggs-type converter smell. It is just as I described it: like the smell that an old bike tire inner tube emits when you let the air out.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 PM

--I would suspect some odors such as you describe may be the same ones frequently caused by condensation in the HVAC system--kind of a stale, almost "mildewy" kind of odor, although these tend to be more noticeable running the A/C. Is it maybe when running "defrost" as opposed to just heat? Once the condensation has built up enough times--you may get some bacterial/mold growth. There are kits to deodorize your vehicles heating system. The only other thing I can think of would be some odor that is being brought into the systems air intake...can you smell the odor just outside the vehicle, or under the hood?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Check for any oil leaks on the exhaust will do it too.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Zox

Maybe some Japaneese worker forget inside his bike inner-tire while making your car....

Sorry just a joke.

I was experienced some bad odour in the first month, 2-3 times, but now its gone...

Zox.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Have the dealer check the cabin air filter. If you live in a humid area its possible the filter may have gotten damp and picked up an odor.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by youngdoc
We got our '08 Outlander last May. This winter we have noticed a foul smell coming out of the vents periodically. I THINK it only occurs when the heat is on, since we didn't experience it until this winter. It doesn't seem to matter whether the vents are open to fresh air vs. recycled.

The odor is very distinct: it smells almost EXACTLY like the smell you experience when you let the air out of an old bike tire -- that stale inner tube smell -- but very, very potent. We have to crack open the windows when it happens.

It occurs sort of randomly and not all the time, and lasts for maybe 20 minutes, then it seems to go away. I think I have noticed it more during highway driving, but that may just be because shorter trips around town don't trigger it.

I'm taking it in for service tomorrow, but I'd love to have more ammo (information) from this forum before I go in.

Any thoughts?
That’s funny coz the same smell I had it on Sunday but I thought it was due to the fact that I change the bikes tires on Friday.

Quick Reply: Bad smell from ventilation system