Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Beeping sound when I exit

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Default Beeping sound when I exit

Hello everyone,
Yesterday as I exited my Outie (hadnt closed the door yet) there was a fast beeping noise. I went back assuming I'd left the lights on or the FAST key inside and both were a negative.

This morning as I exited the same thing happened again but I had the key in my hand so I know it wasnt left inside and if I wasnt mistaken I could have sworn I saw a faint blinking light on the key (I could be wrong).
Is it possible that the battery for the FAST key is dying? I know I should consult the manual but before I scoured through the whole book I just thought I'd ask in case anyone else has come across this problem before.

Cheers!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 PM

Is the car thats beeping right? What did it say on the display dash.
Well, when it beeps really fast, the display would say like, turn off lights, or key location??, something like that.

When I bought the Outlander in 2007, I ask the dealer if the fast key need a change of battery within years. They told me I dont have to worry about it for atleast 5 to 10 years.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM

I never looked at the dash but it certainly came from the car as I heard it beeping as I took a couple of steps away, i'll try to see if the dash shows anything tomorrow morning but I will say this the FAST key has been actin tired over the last few weeks, whne locking or unlocking its required a few presses even at no more than 6 feet away, maybe the battery is dying??

If your dealer is right then its odd as I have a 2007 xls and I regularly press the button on the handle rather than use the FAST key to lock it to save battery consuption.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM

The car beeps at me when I open the door after turning off the engine if the lights are on. It stops beeping pretty quick because it turns the lights off automatically anyways (which begs the question why the hell does it beep about it in the first place), but if you look at the dash it'll say "turn off lights". Kind of a stupid function.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM

I suggest you have the battery replaced in your key just in case. While it may be true that the battery normally lasts 5 years or more, occasionally you can get a bad battery that goes out much quicker. If the battery is going out, its possible you could end up stranded some place since the key has to transmit the proper code to your ignition before your engine will start. Without that code the engine immobilizer kicks in and your vehicle won't start.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM

I get the fast beeping noise if I try and push the lock button on the outside of the door, but do not have the key. The same thing happens on my girlfriends lancer if I hit the lock button but she has the key on the other side of the door.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM

you probably havent fully "locked" the ignition cylinder. When its not locked fully and the key leaves the car, you get the warning beeps.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM

I know I've definitely fully turned the (fixed) key so thats not the problem and since both ocassions were when it was still fairly light outside (one was at 7.30am) I'm certain the lights weren't switched on either. I will replace the battery and see if the beeping repeats. Thnx for the suggestions

Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 PM

Bring it to the dealer and show them

Old 02-25-2009, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I suggest you have the battery replaced in your key just in case. While it may be true that the battery normally lasts 5 years or more, occasionally you can get a bad battery that goes out much quicker. If the battery is going out, its possible you could end up stranded some place since the key has to transmit the proper code to your ignition before your engine will start. Without that code the engine immobilizer kicks in and your vehicle won't start.
Would you really end up stranded? Isn't that the purpose of the physical key in the FAST transmitter, so that if the signal is messed up you can stick the key in the ignition and still start the vehicle? (Don't have my manual handy, but I'd like to check this.)

Quick Reply: Beeping sound when I exit